Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LightBurn

Well done. He has the chops to make this work. Look forward to his progress.

Definitely interesting for sure. I only have one concern since it will be a for sale software. I read a comment from the developer on the LB facebook page. another fellow was asking about another controller and the dev kind of explained his process on how he does it. He is hijacking the communication between the controller and the software which is obfuscated (protected) by the manufacturer. Can't speak about the legality involved there but thats not my point. You hacked in and made the software work sooo what happens when the manufacturer issues an firmware update or redesigns their controllers functionality. Your software now lost communication with the controller. Maybe that rarely happens with these controllers. The best method would have been to use an API provided by the controller manufacturer, if one was provided, for communicating. This is not a bashing of the developer what HE has written is great just a concern over how he is acquiring the coms which could be problematic with FW updates or redesigned controllers.
    Mike
    ----------------
    Experience: Something you get just after you needed it.

Blog Entries
    Updates do exist for the RDworks software, but not a lot for firmware updates. I'd like to get a firmware on my model but it's not out there yet. Neither are mandatory, just a bit more functionality when the do come thru.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I've updated the firmware on my controller zero times in six years, not sure it even has the ability to be updated. He will have a demo version so no one should buy it until they know it works, at the price I think he is going to charge, no one should be upset if they find it won't work on a new controller that they upgrade to. I am sure there will be some language about that (unlikely) possibility in the legalese that accompanies the software.

The controller manufacturer should be happy with LightBurn, it won't cut into their sales at all. I don't think anyone buys a Chinese controller because of their software.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Jason is literally adding features every day right now. There is a private Facebook group for Lightburn. He is taking suggestions and implementing them daily. If nothing else, it will be far easier (and much less cryptic) for the new user to pick it up and make things. His software also supports other controllers (like Smoothies).
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    I've updated the firmware on my controller zero times in six years, not sure it even has the ability to be updated. He will have a demo version so no one should buy it until they know it works, at the price I think he is going to charge, no one should be upset if they find it won't work on a new controller that they upgrade to. I am sure there will be some language about that (unlikely) possibility in the legalese that accompanies the software.

The controller manufacturer should be happy with LightBurn, it won't cut into their sales at all. I don't think anyone buys a Chinese controller because of their software.
    Good post.

The abilty to send raster/vector files directly from CAD software (Illustrator or Corel Draw) to the virtual controller (LB) would be a welcome feature for Chinese and DIY lasers and a long time coming. The added benefits of file optimization (nodes) and a well-designed/speedy GUI is icing on the cake.

It might be a good idea to consider licensing to importers, like Boss, Rabbit, AT, or LO.

This is now available to download and try out before committing to purchase.

There seems to be a few minor issues that are being raised in the software’s Facebook Group, which isn’t too surprising.
    Shenhui SG350 fitted with a 60w tube.
    Aeon Nova 10 100w tube.
    Aeon Mira 5030 30w RF tube.
    20w Fiber Laser.
    50w Fiber Laser.
    Located in the Isle of Man, which isn't in the UK but almost surrounded by it.

The way I look at even the Chinese should embrace. The easier their machine is to use the more engravers they will sell!
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Are they eventually going to support big blue and big red? Interesting looking software.

So, what are the top feature (advances) that Lightburn offers? Or what other improvements does it appear it will offer?
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

I sent an email last night around 10pm asking if they supported Leetro 6535/6565 they responded in less then 10 mins
    pretty good huh. But the answer was

"Not yet, no.We have a 6585 to pick at, but the initial look into it says it's going to be a bit of a pain to support. It appears they do a chunk of the motion planning and acceleration handling on the PC side, which hasn't been the case with Ruida or Anywells controllers. That'll make it more difficult than anything we're supporting now, so it'll be a while."
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Downing View Post
    So, what are the top feature (advances) that Lightburn offers? Or what other improvements does it appear it will offer?
    The one feature I’m enjoying the most is the ability to send just part of what’s on your screen to the laser. For example I have six different designs, each is 34mm in diameter, in RDWorks I have to have six different files. In Lighburn I can have them all in the same file and just select which image I send to the laser. This is going to be a real time saver for me.

The look and feel of the programme is well ahead of its Chinese counterpart, it has a way to go with features yet, but updates are rolling out.

I’m hoping one day it will also be able to control my other laser which runs PowerCut, which is a little obscure.
    Shenhui SG350 fitted with a 60w tube.
    Aeon Nova 10 100w tube.
    Aeon Mira 5030 30w RF tube.
    20w Fiber Laser.
    50w Fiber Laser.
    Located in the Isle of Man, which isn't in the UK but almost surrounded by it.