Thread: Spindle turner's tool rest??

Spindle turner's tool rest??

I know somewhere I've seen the suggestion of either purchasing or making a long tool rest (12-24" or more) if you plan to frequently turn spindles. I can't for the life of me though find the source, or find suggestions for building a rest. It makes sense to me to have a long rest so you don't have to stop and keep moving it when turning chair legs. Why is it I can't seem to find anyone that makes these? It seems I may have to make something myself.

On some of the really long spindle rests, I've seen there are two banjos. That would give a lot more support if your rest was 24" long (~ 12" of overhang). But if you are contemplating doing only a few, you could make your own tool rest that bolts to your bed. There are some youtube videos that use a piece of 90 degree angle iron welded or brazed to a post. The construction technique depends on your skills and available tools. Do you have a moderately beefy welder or oxy-acet. torch ?

Here is a Youtube video showing a very simple approach that a person could make this with very limited tools: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBQXbFGc7sI - - at the end he even shows a home made banjo. Not overly elegant but certainly easy to do.
    Last edited by Brice Rogers; 10-08-2017 at 12:43 PM.

I believe robust will make long rests and sell you a spare banjo.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Just look on eBay they do come up occasionally, and yes you do need an extra banjo or other means to hold the other end of the rest

DELTA 24" WOOD LATHE TOOL REST IN GREAT CONDITION, CAT No. 694

Long toolrest on eBay.jpg
    Last edited by Thom Sturgill; 10-09-2017 at 7:00 AM. Reason: Remove ebay link per ToS.
    Have fun and take care

I have 2 banjos for the Grizzly G0766 (original & the replacement), and I made a 6 foot long tool rest with oak mouldings and dowels. I turned a few 5' long bed posts made of laminated oak (4" squares, turned to 3" diameter with tapered ends). I placed the dowels about 4' apart, to lessen the flexure over the cantilevers. One time use, probably.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cicciarelli View Post
    I know somewhere I've seen the suggestion of either purchasing or making a long tool rest (12-24" or more) if you plan to frequently turn spindles. I can't for the life of me though find the source, or find suggestions for building a rest. It makes sense to me to have a long rest so you don't have to stop and keep moving it when turning chair legs. Why is it I can't seem to find anyone that makes these? It seems I may have to make something myself.
    I know of several that people made. One was wood with a second banjo made from wood. The other was also wood but used a second cast iron banjo. The long rest was topped with a piece of angle iron.

I will probably build a long tool rest the next time I turn a shovel or hoe handle to avoid moving the rest so much.

handle_shuffle_hoe_comp.jpg

JKJ