Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Map of Lumberyards.

Map of Lumberyards.

Was reading this morning Popular Woodworking has a map of lumber yards in each state. I found a hardwood dealer I did not know about 45 min for home.
    Do a search for "Popular woodworking lumberyard map"
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

There's also:

- http://www.woodfinder.com/
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 10-10-2017 at 6:30 AM. Reason: Removed link to forum

The problem is these maps are always woefully incomplete. Woodfinder misses virtually all of the lumberyards and hardwood dealers in my area, it has at least two that went out of business, one about five years ago and the other nearly a decade ago. The Popular Woodworking map misses 2 out of the 3 closest lumberyards to me.

I’ve been to World of Wood/Exotic Woods that they list in Albuquerque. It’s a retail store in an old converted restaurant building. I’ve been there ˝ dozen times and never walked out with a piece of wood, their prices are off the chart.
    We do have a few lumber yards that aren’t on the PW list. The best yard in the state is Alpine Lumber in Santa Fe, also not cheap.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

That might be the worst map I’ve ever seen. Apparently there are no lumberyards in north east Ohio.

Just use google maps and search for “lumberyard” or “hardwood”.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Apparently there are no lumberyards in north east Ohio.
    Or the entire state of Tennessee!

Blog Entries
    Cool. I did not find my preferred yard at any of those sites but, sent the info to those who manage them.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I think the point of the map is for woodworkers to list their favorite place to buy lumber. Not just a list of every outlet that sells lumber. It is an active, ever growing map for woodworkers to share. They cant list it if Woodworkers don't send it in.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    That might be the worst map I’ve ever seen. Apparently there are no lumberyards in north east Ohio.

Just use google maps and search for “lumberyard” or “hardwood”.

They list Keim Lumber in Charm Ohio. I always considered that North East Ohio.
    But yes, Many more lumber places up that way.
    I did not send in any places for the list. I know of a bunch but no personal experience buying from them.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 10-08-2017 at 4:30 PM.
    - Rick Dale

Based on my quick look, I suspect that any map entries are there from lumber suppliers that ponied up to be listed. In SE PA, there are hundreds of such concerns in existence, but I'm only seeing like...three...on the map. Fortunately, Hearne is one of them
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Wow. I have one only 93 miles away. Sadly, 57 miles of that is the ocean... Perhaps they could make a list of areas that need one?

We're happy to add them. Just send a note to brendan.gaffney@fwmedia.com, along with a short testimonial of why you think it's a good yard (note: we're talking actual lumberyards – places you can find a robust selection of furniture-sized wood). The map is entirely crowd-sourced, and growing.

Jim, this is entirely crowd-sourced. All listed yards were sent in by readers (and we're adding more as they come in – feel free to send your favorites if they're not represented. There's info in the post on how to do it, and for what we're looking).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Based on my quick look, I suspect that any map entries are there from lumber suppliers that ponied up to be listed....
    They are quite up front it is a work in progress listing vendors recommended by readers. This initial map includes the yards recommend by their social media follows solicited over the last year. They say they won't accept listings from dealers without review and disclosing the affiliation in the listing and that they are still accepting recommendations for ongoing updates.

All, if they're missing yards in your area and you haven't sent in a recommendation, the lack of listings is your own fault.

(They list several in my area, unfortunately none I didn't know about....)

Like many folks would likely do...I went directly to the map...and didn't see the fact that it's a crowd sourced resource since I didn't read the rest of the page. My apologies for that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...