Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help Cutting 22.5 Deg Angle (for Flag Display Case)

Need Help Cutting 22.5 Deg Angle (for Flag Display Case)

I need to cut the 22.5 deg miters for the bottom side of a flag display case. I've searched forums and see where many say to use a tenon jig, so I ran out and bought one at Rockler but am still stumped. The jig runs in the left miter slot, and the blade tilts to the left, so I can't use the blade tilt to get the 22.5 deg. The bevel adjustment on the tenon jig is only 20 deg. I'm guessing I'm in a proverbial 'forest for the trees' scenario and it's probably something simple I'm missing. Any help would be appreciated.
    Clark Harbaugh

Rip cut or crosscut? What machine (assuming TS)?
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Crosscut on a TS is what I'm attempting. I looked at possibly using my miter saw, but my thought would be at that angle, even if I built an auxiliary fence, I would be worried about the wood being 'pulled' into the blade.

Right now the only thing I see is to get a reamer bit and extend the curved slot on the bevel adjustment plate to allow for it to tilt further.

On a side note, for anyone wanting a review of the Rockler "Heavy Duty Tenon Jig" - it has one huge flaw. There are absolutely no adjustments on the guide bar that rides int he miter slot, and there is a LOT of slop in mine. I had to take one off an extra miter gauge I had and modify it to fit the tenon jig. More than a little disappointing.
    Clark Harbaugh

Compound miter? Which way is the crosscut? Either way I'd be inclined to do it on the miter chopsaw with a good blade. You'll likely need an auxiliary fence to set a stop for the lengths. Get some scrap wood and cut enough (typically eight with 22-1/2°) equal length pieces to see if your miter is set correctly.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

TS and miter gauge with the blade tilted to 22.5? What am I missing?

If you flip the workpiece upside down won't you get your desired angle?

To do that, the piece would be laying flat on the table, so the blade would have to be set at 67.5 from vertical (22.5 off the table), which isn't possible. Blade at 22.5 with a tenon jig would work and was my intent, but my blade tilts left - into the tenon jig.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Clark Harbaugh

Just to provide clarity, here is a sketch of what I'm basically building. I'm in need of cutting the miters for the bottom two corners of the triangle. The total angle is 45, making my cuts at 22.5. Miter gauge and TS would work with my piece on the edge, but unfortunately my blade height is not sufficient for the pieces I'm cutting. An aux fence on the miter saw is a consideration, but again my concern is a) getting an aux fence built that is tapered at exactly 22.5 deg, and b) the safety factor of a very steep angle in relation to the blade. Just afraid of the piece being 'pulled' into blade.

Capture.jpg
    Clark Harbaugh

I would think - Use power miter box.. w a jig based on link below.. clamp work if "pulling" is a concern, or contact cement medium sandpaper to avoid workpiece sliding. Marc

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/attac...w-100_0991.jpg

Any reason you can not use the jig backwards since your saw is backwards? I have a delta tenoning jig and I moved the miter slot bar over to one side by about two inches? I think this was to let me angle cut 2x stock or maybe it was to get it closer to the blade for thin stock.
    I did this when my saw was a old delta contractor saw with tilt table not a tilting blade. I know my crosscut sled did not line up when I switched to a unisaw.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I have way less experience than the average here, but how do you do the above?

Blade only goes to 45 max... unless you mean the workpiece is run through saw vertically oriented, as in a tenon jig (Not a miter gauge) w blade at 22 1/2 off of vertical ?
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Harbaugh View Post
    To do that, the piece would be laying flat on the table, so the blade would have to be set at 67.5 from vertical (22.5 off the table), which isn't possible. Blade at 22.5 with a tenon jig would work and was my intent, but my blade tilts left - into the tenon jig.
    That’s what in was missing! Lol, didn’t think it through. I’d probably use my RAS.

I made a high fence/tenoning jig that runs along my Bies fence. An outrigger straddles the fence so the jig cannot move laterally. A little blue tape on the back adjusts it to be perfectly vertical. It has a vertical cleat to keep the workpiece square to the table front-to-back and a couple of toggle clamps to secure the workpiece. Tilt the blade to 22.5, adjust your fence, and you've got the cut. The jig is made from mdf or the like so it doesn't matter if the blade cuts into it a bit.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Yup, Just like James sed .... Images here, and other similar ideas. Marc

https://www.google.com/search?q=diy+...w=1229&bih=608

If this is a one time project, and you don't have a toggle clamp, configure yer jig to use a c clamp or two. Marc