Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marple Chisels

Marple Chisels

Among my favorite user chisels are the Marple Firmer chisels with Boxwood handles. Over time I have built an almost complete set (from 1/16 to 1 1/4) of the Firmer chisels, I'm missing a 5/8" firmer. There are also a number of bevel edge ones in my chisel till as well, including a 1 1/2 incher. Come on Bubba cut to the chase.

Because of changes in quality depending on when made I've been trying to figure out how to rough date 'em. In other words tell the Marples from the Record/Marples and most of all from the Irwin/Marples. Here is what I've come up with so far: The early Marple Chisels were hammer forged and they have a square neck, some time after the '30s they started drop forging some of the chisels and by the '50s all were drop forged with maybe the exception of some of the Firmer chisels. The drop forged chisels have a round neck instead of square. Some of the other differences are early chisels have various "stamps" on the blade with later chisels it is an etching. The earlier chisels have what is defiantly a brass ferrel, the round neck chisel ferrels are the wrong color for brass and do not seem to change with age, in other words they stay shiny.

roundVsSquareNeck171009dscf2042.jpg

The top and bottom chisels are square necked, the middle two have round necks and the second from the top has an etching instead of a stamp on the blade so it could be a very late model chisel.

Does any of this change the usability of the chisels, not that I can tell from the ones I own (all but three are square necked). Over time I will replace the round necked ones with square necked chisels when found. Now that the firmer set is almost complete I will start working on completing a bevel edge set and a paring set.

ken

Hmmm. I owned some Marples chisels purchased in the 70s, and got rid of them because they chipped at the slightest opportunity.

I wish Stanley had made some bench chisels (longer blade, ideally a wooden handle) using the same steel they used in the No. 60 chisels (the yellow handled carpenter's chisels, once ubiquitous in hardware stores and still very common at yard sales). Those chisels sharpen well and are tough as can be. I've yet to produce a visible chip on the edge, even when I abuse the @#*%^ out of them in carpentry work. The edges wear rather than chipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    Hmmm. I owned some Marples chisels purchased in the 70s, and got rid of them because they chipped at the slightest opportunity.

I wish Stanley had made some bench chisels (longer blade, ideally a wooden handle) using the same steel they used in the No. 60 chisels (the yellow handled carpenter's chisels, once ubiquitous in hardware stores and still very common at yard sales). Those chisels sharpen well and are tough as can be. I've yet to produce a visible chip on the edge, even when I abuse the @#*%^ out of them in carpentry work. The edges wear rather than chipping.
    Bill,

That's the reason I'm trying to get a rough date of manufacture for the chisels. At one time Marple chisel were some of the best to come out of Sheffield. Add in great ergonomics and they make, like I said, some of my favorite user chisels.

ken

Blog Entries
    I'm missing a 5/8" firmer.
    Have you looked it item #192327719560 on the auction site?

The handle looks like a replacement or alternate but it is 5/8".

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi Ken, these I bought new in early to mid 1970s, the ferrels appear to be brass as they have discolored a bit over the years.
    Hope this is/was of some help.
    Rick
    IMG_3046[1].jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Malakoff View Post
    Hi Ken, these I bought new in early to mid 1970s, the ferrels appear to be brass as they have discolored a bit over the years.
    Hope this is/was of some help.
    Rick
    Thanks Rick,

Yeah every little clue helps....But the truth is while I'm interested in dating the chisels I will try to only buy hammer forged ones.

How have yours worked? I'm assuming they are from the Record/Marples time. I was buying Record tools in the mid '70s and while they were much better than the Stanley tools of that time you could see a decline of workmanship and general quality.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Have you looked it item #192327719560 on the auction site?

The handle looks like a replacement or alternate but it is 5/8".

jtk
    Jim,

Thanks for the link.

I had a longer reply but for some reason The Creek ate it. Anyway here goes again....I had checked that item out this morning. I passed on it because, while I'm not sure, the back looked to have more pitting than I'm willing to deal with.

More later,

ken

the following maybe of some assistance Ken;http://www.williammarplesandsons.com...nd-gouges.html

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    the following maybe of some assistance Ken;http://www.williammarplesandsons.com...nd-gouges.html
    Stewie,

Thanks for the link. It appears to be very useful.

ken

Ken, I just remembered that I have a copy of the Marples 1928 Catalog in PDF and to large to post.
    If you or any one else here wants a copy PM me with an email address I'd be glad to send you one.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Malakoff View Post
    Ken, I just remembered that I have a copy of the Marples 1928 Catalog in PDF and to large to post.
    If you or any one else here wants a copy PM me with an email address I'd be glad to send you one.
    Rick
    Thanks Rick....PM on the way.

ken

Sent, let me know if it opens.
    Rick

Blog Entries
    If it is of any interest here is a link to a 1938 Marples catalogue .pdf:

http://toolemera.com/bkpdf/MarplesCat1938.pdf

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    If it is of any interest here is a link to a 1938 Marples catalogue .pdf:

http://toolemera.com/bkpdf/MarplesCat1938.pdf

jtk
    Thanks Jim, the range of tools is eye opening. We have lost so much over the years. Even more amazing the tools were not cheap rip-offs but for the most part professional grade.

ken

Blog Entries
    I knew I had this one, here is a link for the 1928 catalog if others or future readers want a peek:

http://taths.org.uk/images/PubCat/TathsMarples1928.pdf

jtk