Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: recommendations for table saw?

recommendations for table saw?

I am in the market for a new table saw. Does any one have any suggestions? I am looking for something of a reasonable size and price maybe a 40" rip capacity. $600 plus or minus, money is a huge thing right now as I am a college student. I would love something like a jet table saw but they are very expensive and sometimes a little to big. Something with wheels definitely. is there anything out there for me?

1. Read the many relevant threads on this site.

2. Check Craigslist.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

https://syracuse.craigslist.org/tls/...339427403.html

this is not a bad deal, i would offer 300.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    https://syracuse.craigslist.org/tls/...339427403.html

this is not a bad deal, i would offer 300.
    Shoot, that has a UniFence on it, not the stock fence. What is visible of the top shows no signs of rust or oxidation. If it's as good as it looks, i'd more like a $350 offer, and not afraid at the full asking price. Fence could be sold for nearly $200 alone.
    earl

With the amount of cabinet saws I've seen on the Craigslist market I think you could find a used Delta Unisaw in your price range. Some of the older powermatic can go cheap if you're willing to put some work in to clean them up they can be a steal. That being said, the delta someone suggested would be a good buy at 300. Also, it's a heck of a lot easier to move. I started on a portable Makita table saw, then a Jet contractor saw, to a like new Unisaw, finally yo my sawstop. Point being, this most likely will be only a gateway Table saw for you!

Buy a track saw, seriously. It will do almsot everything a table saw will and then when you move it will go in the trunk of a car with ease.
    Next, when you get serious shop space, buy a serious band saw. It will rip almost as wella s a table saw and can do a million things a table saw cannot-pen blanks to bowl blanks for wood turning, cutting cabriole legs, cutting ogee feet for period furniture, re sawing veneer, re sawing for ltuhiary work, cutting voersize landscape timber, cutting circles, cutting rough or warped lumber you would not put through atable saw...god only knows what else.
    Get at least 18 inches of size and at least 2 horse, 220 volt.
    If you still feel like you need a table saw, there is no good one size fits all answer. The older Powermatic 66 and unisaw models are fantastic, but you will wind up doing restoration and maintenacne work on it. Also, aprts are long out of production for these saws. But they can be had all day long from $400-$800 in good working order.
    Older saws from oliver and tannewitz can be had on the cheap, if one is willing to drive to get them and do restoration work. But they will weigh in at well over half a ton, and run 14" blades which will cost more. Also, your parts problem is much more acute with these, and you will need to deal with the three phase pwoer issue.
    I have used European sliders, but cost, space and the possible need for three pahse all are issues.
    The European saws and older Olviers, tTannewitzm, and the like will run circles aroun d the 10 inch cabinet saws, shich will run circles around the lower end style contractors and job site saws.
    I vote you buy a cabinet saw when you buy your first house, buy a band saw when you get your first rental with work space, and buy a track sw to keep you going now.

That delta table saw on craigslist does look like an amazing deal. However its just a little big. My parents garage does offer me enough room for a saw like that unfortunately. I really need something with wheels for now until I got my own garage hopefully with in the next 10 years. I was thinking maybe a delta or rigid saw from home depot or lowes for right now. Then when I get my own place I could upgrade to a bigger stationer saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herd View Post
    That delta table saw on craigslist does look like an amazing deal. However its just a little big. My parents garage does offer me enough room for a saw like that unfortunately. I really need something with wheels for now until I got my own garage hopefully with in the next 10 years. I was thinking maybe a delta or rigid saw from home depot or lowes for right now. Then when I get my own place I could upgrade to a bigger stationer saw.
    I would still think ahrd about a track saw. It will perform much better than a cheap table saw IMHO. The only advantage you will have with a cheap table saw is if you want to make a lot of quick repeatable cuts.

...maybe a delta or rigid saw from home depot or lowes...
    Noooooo!

Look at that craigslist saw and put it on a mobile base if necessary. Or same with a used Unisaw in excellent condition for about the same money.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

+1 re craigslist. There often are great deals on solid, older tools like Delta, Powermatic (likely outside your price range except for the contractor's saw), Rockwell, and Atlas. Also deals on newer old stuff, too, like General, Grizzly, Jet, etc.

If you look closely at the pics of that CL saw, it is not the one in the first picture. It is an older, much better saw. I would still offer him $300. He just might take it.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

The forum found you a perfect saw. You asked for 40" rip, this one is only "32, yet you said it's too big.

Doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Stokes View Post
    The forum found you a perfect saw. You asked for 40" rip, this one is only "32, yet you said it's too big.

Doesn't make sense.

yea, that delta is a good deal.

The jobsite saws are IMHO worthless unless you need the extreme portability. to be fair, i have only used the dewalt.

I bought a Ridgid brand saw from HD like 15 years ago and its everything I need. It can do 36" rip cuts. The fence is nice. The only thing is this is a contractor saw and its a b____ to do dust collection.

Add a mobility kit, they aren't expensive.

As others have mentioned, the saw on CL is certainly the better option of box store junk.