Thread: Dust deputy DC conversion

Dust deputy DC conversion

Hey guys,

I currently have a 1HP craftex DC from busybeetools here in canada and I've been quite happy with it, but lately I've been reading a lot about 2 stage and venting outside to make my air even cleaner.

So I am looking forward to transform my DC into a DIY 2 stage and I am currently looking to add a dust deputy to my setup, but I can't figure why there is such a big price difference between the standard dust deputy (white one) and the so called super dust deputy which from what I can tell the only advantage is that is has some 5" and 6" ins/outs.

Is the size of the inlets/outlets really the only difference? I mean, the super one is like more than 3 times the price!!

Is there something else I don't see here?

here are both units from kmstools here in canada:

https://www.kmstools.com/oneida-dust-deputy-diy-107053
    https://www.kmstools.com/oneida-supe...-outlet-125772

Anyone has any experience with those units and maybe converting a busybee DC with those units? I see a lot of videos online about converting the harbor freights DC, but north of the border, it's not really an option.

Thanks!
    ​​​​​​​

Honestly, you may not have enough air flow to realize much benefit from adding pre-separation to a 1hp DC. Pre-separation adds load to the system air flow demand. Post-separation may or may not work better (pusher), especially if you're going to vent outside (keep in mind you'll be sending your heat outside in the winter), but in any case, you'll need to keep your runs very short. You may be better with pre-separation and your DC with a better filter on a rolling cart so you can keep the hose very short and bag the idea of exhausting outside with that setup.

Since you're pretty much limited practically speaking to 4" hose by your current DC, I do not believe there is any benefit in investing in the larger SDD. IMHO, of course.

You may also want to weigh the cost of investing in a larger 2-stage DC that's already setup if you want to work with duct work and exhaust outside.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mathieu,

Sorry to say but a 1HP is barely powerful enough for a mobile one tool at a time DC. Any separator you attach to that machine will drop the performance so low you may get better suction from a vacuum. Oneida requires at least 350CFM to operate, which you may or may not get even venting outside. The regular DD is meant for vacuums and is 1/3 the size.

Hope that helps, let us know what you do.

Carl

Thanks for the answers.....

Well from what I hear, I'd better forget about adding a deputy to my 1hp.

What about just making it 2 stage and venting outside without adding a dust deputy? Would it be enough? Would I spit too much dust outside without a proper separator?

Anyway, makes me rethink the whole thing and wonder if I should maybe upgrade to a 2hp DC, but prices are insane up here. I might actually consider make a 3h drive trip down to harbor freight... 199$ USD for the 2hp they sell is a pretty good deal! Probably not the best quality, but definitely enough for my small shop and anyway, my current craftex DC is not of really good quality neither and it still does a great job.

Mathieu,

The term 2 stage means adding a separator to the single stage blower. So to make yours a 2 stage you need to add some kind of separator to your blower which will significantly reduce performance. I think if you look at the graph on page 67 you will see a typical 1HP blower performance. http://www.portercable.com/uploads/P...Collectors.pdf Bottom line of the graph, below minimum performance level. Just above that is the HF 2HP DC. Above that is every other 1.5 and 2HP blower tested. This graph shows on the far right what the most CFM the unit can produce with nothing connected. As soon as you add a separator and hoses, etc. you start adding static pressure and moving up and to the left on the chart (lowering your CFM). The HF DC is a perfect example of what you get when looking at HP instead of impeller size. The HF has a 2HP motor but only a little sub 10" impeller (most 2HP units have 12"+ size impellers). That it is why it underperforms all the 1.5HP units tested. Around here there are plenty of used 1.5HP DCs for sale on CL for about the same price as a new HF DC. The used HF units go for $50-100.

Venting outside will definitely help performance but you will also be blowing a lot of hot air out as well. Most people that vent outside live in warmer climates. I'm in Michigan and don't vent outside.

Hope that helps. Let us know what you do.

Carl

Mathieu,

Carl has a great deal of insight to the world of D.C. Take his advice, go look at what I did with my HF system.
    on this website "Another HF DC" under this same group. If I had it to do over again I would purchase at min a 3 HP 2 stage system already put together.
    It hard to beat a Dust Collection engineer by shot gunning a system yourself. And I knew this going head first.
    The reason I went the route I did, I was hard headed! (Did I really just type that?)

I was given The HF DC. The same with the SDD. So that takes away $400.00 US.

I did buy the Wynn 35A filter well worth the money spent. ($208.shipped)I also went with 5 inch Ducting and no 4 inch duct is being used.
    Stay with 5 inch ducts if you use the SDD going down to 4 inch to me would be paremount to having a Ford Four wheel drive F250 with a 4 cylinder engine expecting to go wheeling on anything larger than speed bumps.

My concept of dust collection originally started out as away to help mitigate saw dust on the floor tracking into the house. A home made Cyclone made of stove pipe and a shop vac worked great.
    Then I started to notice how red oak irritated my nasal passages. The shop vac was suspending the fine particulate mater that I was breathing in. So the shop vac is no longer used on the TS. Since building my D.C. System I have not had the issues with the red oak dust as before.
    I run only 1 machine at a time. What I have that is connected to the system is a hybrid 10 inch table saw, 8 inch jointer,
    13 inch planner, soon a down draft table and my router station, the problem child will be the 12 inch compound sliding miter saw, the good news the inlet to the SSD is 10 inches from the back of the CSMS instead of a blast gate I will use a quick disconnect directly connected to the SDD, with 14 inches of 5 inch flex.
    let us know what you do as Carl says.
    it has been fun building the D.C. But if I had it to do over again I would buy it built.
    from what I have learned D.C. Is nothing like buying a car and boring out the cylinders adding bigger pistons, changing the exhaust system reprogramming a computer chip. New suspension system, gear ratio change in the rear end.
    And in the end you have a souped up car. In DC it seems every time you make a change short of adding HP and more surface area to a nano filter you are hurting your self, not helping.

Lane,

I have a re-purposed whole house central vacuum unit that I added a Dust Deputy separator ahead of. It is used primarily for collecting saw dust from 2 scroll saws, the 6" belt sander, the drill presses, hand sanders, vacuuming the shop floor, and for cleaning out my cars and trucks. I started using it with a 5 gallon bucket under the Dust Deputy, and imploded the first bucket when I blocked the hose inlet with a piece of wood. I then realized that the top 1/3 of the bucket had external reinforcing ribs, so I stacked three buckets together and never had another problem with the top bucket. I have since replaced these buckets with a 25 gallon steel grease barrel and a shop made lid with the Dust Deputy mounted to it. The seal between the lid and barrel is 3/4" wide closed cell foam Weatherstrip. The top was mad from two round piece of 3/4" cabinet birch ply, one that just fits inside the barrel and one that is 1 1/2" larger than the barrel screwed together with ALEX caulking between them. So far, this has been working very well for me and it will likely be a year or more before I will need to dump the barrel. The exhaust of my central vacuum id directed to the outside of my shop and in the past 3 years of use I have never found anything in the collection container of the central vacuum unit except a light layer of extremely fine dust on the metal container walls of the central vacuum. The fabric filter in the central vacuum never has any visible build-up so I am considering leaving it out completely.

Charley