Thread: Terry Evans Woodart Boxs???

Terry Evans Woodart Boxs???

Has anyone ever tried to make a box in the Terry Evans style? And if so how did you make it. Or does anyone know of a class or DVD or book on how to make them? Any help on making one of these would be great.

Thanks

http://terryevanswoodart.com/3-leg-b...800&height=620

http://terryevanswoodart.com/medium-...800&height=620
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Hmmm, lemme guess. I'd say he first glues up the vertical parts into a multicolor block, then maybe he turns it round. Then he uses a bandsaw to cut the block into pancakes. The top and the bottom of each pancake is not flat, but kinda-randomly wavy. (A good thing is that the pancakes will all fit nicely together later in the process.) Then he shapes the edges of each pancake. Maybe he just goes after each one with a bench-mounted disc or belt sander. After he gets the rounded-over edge shape established, he can move to finer grits. When each pancake is finely sanded, he glues them back together.

Those are very cool the hardest part might be trying to sand and finish. Some woods will stain or drag their color over to lighter woods very impressive.
    Instead of trying to copy try experimenting maybe you will find something just as beautiful.
    Some of my best projects start with curiosity, energy and uncertainty.
    Aj

Wow! That's creative stuff for sure. Would be fun to play around and try to mimic his work, just to see what comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Hmmm, lemme guess. I'd say he first glues up the vertical parts into a multicolor block, then maybe he turns it round. Then he uses a bandsaw to cut the block into pancakes. The top and the bottom of each pancake is not flat, but kinda-randomly wavy. (A good thing is that the pancakes will all fit nicely together later in the process.) Then he shapes the edges of each pancake. Maybe he just goes after each one with a bench-mounted disc or belt sander. After he gets the rounded-over edge shape established, he can move to finer grits. When each pancake is finely sanded, he glues them back together.
    Jamie, here is a quote from his web site:

My process involves laminating various hardwood lumber, natural veneers, and dyed veneers into a solid block, or billet. The box-making techniques I use are adaptations of basic band saw box production that have been popularized in the last 50 years. I like to think that I have added a few twists of my own.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><>

In review I think your take on the process is probably close to what he does but I wonder if he sands or uses rasps, router bits or some kind of hand tools for his edges. I am also surprised I have not seen more of these kinds of boxes around as I find them very unique
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006