Thread: Good price on a used 4224a?

Good price on a used 4224a?

I have a lead on a 4224a for $2200. My first inclination is to jump on it and why am i even posting here, but then doubt creeps in. Do i hold out and continue looking for a 3520b now that the c is coming out? sliding headstock, swing away tail stock, etc. Can i pass up a 4224a for $2200? it would have the bare basics with it. the guy is upgrading to something with a sliding tailstock, he is tired of bending over it (or going around the back) for bowls.

Sounds like a very good price to me, If I had found that deal a couple of years ago when I was looking, I would have jumped on it. I paid more than that for a used 3520..... BTW Im in west side Phoenix too, Buckeye, howdy neighbor!

I owned a 3520 for 6 years and loved it. Unless your hung up on the sliding headstock the 2442 is a beast. Longer, more power and bigger throw plus much heavier. I’d buy it at that price.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

2200 for a $7000 lathe and you haven’t bought it yet?

A 4224A for $2200.00, and you didn't buy it? I must ask, are you ill? It would be mine in a heartbeat, it's a great deal IMO.

Len

Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's good. The 24" PM is a big heavy duty machine, but it is now where near as user friendly as any of the PM 3520 varieties or almost any other more normal size lathe. It's kind of like buying a dump truck when you need a pick up. I've heard from the folks at PM at their AAW symposium booth the 3520 outsells the 4224 almost 50:1. Must be a reason for that.

Jason, did you ever see the price difference between the two? One is quite a bit more expensive then the other, I would think that makes a difference in how many of each are sold.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by Len Mullin View Post
    Jason, did you ever see the price difference between the two? One is quite a bit more expensive then the other, I would think that makes a difference in how many of each are sold.
    Len
    I would guess it you had the 7 K for a 24-42 Powermatic you may be be leaning toward a Robust for about that price.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Just saying that just because something is cheap doesn't mean you should buy it. If it won't get you where you want to be, it doesn't matter if somebody gives it to you. I've turned on the 4224 and the 3520. If all I was doing was newel posts & porch columns, the 4224 would be a great machine. But most of us are doing bowls, vases, platters, boxes, etc. and it's to big and clumsy for that type of work in my opinion. Like I said, it's like buying a dump truck when what you want is a pick-up. For most of us, the 3520 is a much better choice, as are any number of other lathes, whether they're made by Jet, Grizzly, Laguna, Oneway or Robust, etc.

Well turns out it doesn't matter, swmbo can't be convinced if the value of it right now. We are in the process of trying to sell the house and move.