Thread: Vertical plywood rack

Vertical plywood rack

Anyone know who makes vertical plywood racks made out of metal? I saw this in a HolzHer panel saw video and it's really close to what I want. I like the roller on the the front to help load/unload, but I want to store it 8' high and 4' deep.
    panel rack.jpg

You could likely get a local welder to do something like that as a side job for you for a reasonable cost I would think. Looks like the dude in the photo has a handy wheeled cart ready and waiting to take that sheet he's pulling out, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yeah, we were thinking about having one welded up as well, but I was looking for a good starting point for the design. It would also be helpful to compare the cost of buying versus building.

We have a Shopcarts Panel Handler for moving sheets around. Our biggest difference from the pic is that we want to store the sheets vertically and tip them down onto the cart or load them directly onto the slider. We've got 10' under the ceiling beams so it should work.

If you do get custom build, it would be really kewel if you could find someone to powder-coat like the commercial unit in the photo...it's only money, you know... LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

James ... I store mine vertically (a wood-framed system) and raised off the floor to slide out on a cart. I did it because of room constraints, but I would say it is not ideal from a number of perspectives including flatness of the sheet goods and removal or individual sheets. I resize sheet goods on a slider I have to tip to horizontal anyway, if I used a vertical slider like a Streibig I might report otherwise. One of my buddies has a wall of steel racks he welded up himself for storing sheet goods horizontally with the 4' access end and I think that's a better system. It is similar to the exotic ply storage at Condons except the sections are less than a foot high which means you are never sorting through too much material. His is not finished and it works great. His shop is dry and there is no hint of corrosion.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius