Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chisels for Chopping

Chisels for Chopping

A comment by a friend on a different venue started a self dialog. The jumping off point was a question about the new production Stanley 750 chisels. While the 750's are not my favorite for general use they are for any chopping not requiring the use of a pig sticker. BTW, I expect anything said about the 750's would also apply to the LN Bench chisels.

What makes the 750 a good chopping chisel is the combination of a socket and the Hornbeam handle with iron that will stand up to some abuse. The chisel is also "short".

No need to go into socket vs. tang when chopping, a socket is better suited. The Hornbeam handle is the key, it is almost as indestructible as one of the yellow plastic ones. I've had a set of the new Stanley's almost from the get go and have whacked away at 'em with abandon and whatever hammer/mallet was at hand and none of the handles show the slightest signs of abuse. Short is personal, I like a short handle on a chopping chisel. I feel it gives better control. The iron on the "new" 750's is kinda average not something to write home about but holds up well to abuse. I would expect the LN version sharpened to a 35 degree secondary bevel would be better than "kinda average".

Anyway, bottom line, the "new" Stanley 750 chisels are my go to chopping chisels for the reasons stated. What's yours?

ken

P.S. Can you tell I'm at lose ends while waiting for tomorrow's back surgery. Not much to do other than sit at the computer and sip whisky (slipping whisky ain't all bad ). Shop activities are very limited...Sharpening iron and making practice joints are about it and even that is limited.

Ken, I wish you well with your back surgery. The docs know so much more now. I consider myself a bit of an expert after 30 + years of it. Best advice I can give is to follow the directions to the letter, rehab and all. After spending long hours at rehab centers most of the problems I have seen or heard about come from people feeling so much better that they jump the gun on activities. My problem can't be fixed by surgery so I now have a spinal cord stimulator. I'm sure I would not be walking without it but I would rather not have had to have it put in. To you and others TAKE CARE OF YOUR BACK.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Ken, I wish you well with your back surgery. The docs know so much more now. I consider myself a bit of an expert after 30 + years of it. Best advice I can give is to follow the directions to the letter, rehab and all. After spending long hours at rehab centers most of the problems I have seen or heard about come from people feeling so much better that they jump the gun on activities. My problem can't be fixed by surgery so I now have a spinal cord stimulator. I'm sure I would not be walking without it but I would rather not have had to have it put in. To you and others TAKE CARE OF YOUR BACK.
    Jim
    Jim,

I'm sorry to hear yours can't be fixed. If your pain level before the stimulator was like mine, and I'm sure it was, it is totally debilitating. I'm lucky mine is very fixable, just a little rotorooting and back like new. Kinda. As I've said before whisky and pain pills are no way to live.

ken

Ken I just feel so bad for people because I know what it's like. I've had some major things, heart attack, broken bones,etc. Nothing comes close to back issues. When people ask I try to explain it with "It's like stubbing your little toe and then just keep doing that over and over again". When my wife would ask I would call it frantic so she would know that I was not able to move or talk or anything. Anymore I just automatically go to cringe mode when someone speaks of back trouble, my heart just goes out to them.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Good luck with the surgery Ken, I've had my fair share so I certainly empathize with you!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    [snip] (slipping whisky ain't all bad ). [snip]
    There's many a whisky that claims to be sipping whisky, but they ain't all good! Careful about your choice of whisky.

And best wishes for your repairs and rehab. Follow directions carefully. Ask questions if they aren't clear. And let us know how it's going.

Jim
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

I hope all goes to plan with your back. Its certainly no fun.

On chisels.. Stanley has offered very good steel and heat treatment even on their chisels.. Their current steel for the "not junk" is the British version of 52100.... About 1% C... It does quite well... Its not a super steel like the Veritas stuff by any means - but it's a whole lot better than the miscellaneous chewing gum so frequently seen in chisels under $15.00

If you need a chisel to bang on... One of the plastic handle Stanley chisels is a fine choice.

Good luck tomorrow, never had any back problems other than sciatica a few times and that weren't no fun.
    As for chisels, I have mortised many door hinges over the years with Stanley butt chisels with the black and yellow plastic handles, have some better ones but never took them to the job for fear of the chuckle heads picking one up and bringing it back looking a saw.
    Rick

Blog Entries
    Hi Ken, Hopefully your medical situation will go smooth and have you back to doing the things you love.

My doctors had me restricted for ~5 months. It was hard not to go out to the shop and do something that would have been unapproved.

As for chopping chisels my choices are plentiful. Besides the various straight side chisels from various quality makers like Buck Brothers, Charles Buck, Swan & Witherby, there are a number of 'beater' chisels' in my shop that can do the job.

This is just one reason to buy those one and two dollar chisels at yard sales and such. Heck, some of those ugly ducklings have become good friends.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Malakoff View Post
    Good luck tomorrow, never had any back problems other than sciatica a few times and that weren't no fun.
    As for chisels, I have mortised many door hinges over the years with Stanley butt chisels with the black and yellow plastic handles, have some better ones but never took them to the job for fear of the chuckle heads picking one up and bringing it back looking a saw.
    Rick
    I have used them for years. I still have a few. They are actually good chisels for the price. I always wished they were longer and not quite so handle heavy. I gave most of them to SIL. I recently ground a 1/4" one to 3/16" for a special use.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by James Waldron View Post
    There's many a whisky that claims to be sipping whisky, but they ain't all good! Careful about your choice of whisky.

And best wishes for your repairs and rehab. Follow directions carefully. Ask questions if they aren't clear. And let us know how it's going.

Jim
    Jim,

Ain't that the truth. Most Whiskey's taste about the same to my unsophisticated palate, slightly too sweet with a hint of fruit.

Single Malt Whisky is another story with a huge range of tastes from a slightly bland Macallan 12 to that of a Islay Whisky. Pick your mood and you can find a Whisky to match

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Hi Ken, Hopefully your medical situation will go smooth and have you back to doing the things you love.

My doctors had me restricted for ~5 months. It was hard not to go out to the shop and do something that would have been unapproved.

As for chopping chisels my choices are plentiful. Besides the various straight side chisels from various quality makers like Buck Brothers, Charles Buck, Swan & Witherby, there are a number of 'beater' chisels' in my shop that can do the job.

This is just one reason to buy those one and two dollar chisels at yard sales and such. Heck, some of those ugly ducklings have become good friends.

jtk
    Jim,

This is bandaid surgery. The Doc said two small incisions, a little Dremel work and I'm out of there with a couple of Band-Aids on my back. I should be able to return to work in a couple or three weeks. I hope he is correct.

ken

Anyway, bottom line, the "new" Stanley 750 chisels are my go to chopping chisels for the reasons stated. What's yours?
    My current favorites for chopping are a set of Japanese chisels with HAP-40 (~PM M4 HSS) edges. The hooped handles can take a lot of abuse, and they take a decently sharp edge and hold it forever.

The Veritas chisels also hold up surprisingly well IMO.

P.S. Can you tell I'm at lose ends while waiting for tomorrow's back surgery. Not much to do other than sit at the computer and sip whisky (slipping whisky ain't all bad ). Shop activities are very limited...Sharpening iron and making practice joints are about it and even that is limited.
    Best of luck with the surgery!

Blog Entries
    Islay is my taste most of the time. I'm not much for Macallan but the older age statements are pretty solid.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Islay? ...Did someone say Islay?!
    Oh, and best of outcomes with the surgery, Ken.