Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The right tool really does make all the difference

The right tool really does make all the difference

I just got my first scrub plane, an E.C.E.
    It's amazing to use it, effortlessly slicing off thick curls!
    It's making surfacing roughsawn lumber sooo much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Mikes View Post
    I just got my first scrub plane, an E.C.E.
    It's amazing to use it, effortlessly slicing off thick curls!
    It's making surfacing roughsawn lumber sooo much easier.
    Steven,

I've been preaching the utility of the ECE scrub for years, there are none better. Congrats.

ken

Hogging down roughsawn lumber is hard on a plane's sole. How does the ECE's sole holdup?

Likewise, roughsawn lumber often has embedded dust and grit that is hard on a scrub plane's blade. Does it chip?

Thanks.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Covington View Post
    Hogging down roughsawn lumber is hard on a plane's sole. How does the ECE's sole holdup?

Likewise, roughsawn lumber often has embedded dust and grit that is hard on a scrub plane's blade. Does it chip?

Thanks.

Stan
    Stan,

Over time the sole gets pretty groddy but that seems to have little effect on its useably. The iron also holds its edge well with little chipping but then it needn't be too sharp to do the job, I've several other scrubs but almost always reach for the ECE because it is light and the front horn is comfortable.

Awhile back someone posted a photo of his ECE scrub that had been in service many years, it was even uglier than mine but was still functioning.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Stan,

Over time the sole gets pretty groddy but that seems to have little effect on its useably. The iron also holds its edge well with little chipping but then it needn't be too sharp to do the job, I've several other scrubs but almost always reach for the ECE because it is light and the front horn is comfortable.

Awhile back someone posted a photo of his ECE scrub that had been in service many years, it was even uglier than mine but was still functioning.

ken
    It sounds like the light weight and shape of the plane are the most attractive features. Correct?

I have never used a a horned plane before, but it appears that they would be easier to use hard for a long time, compared to a Bailey style metal-bodies plane, Japanese plane, or a Krenov style plane. Has that been your experience?

Stan

It sounds like the light weight and shape of the plane are the most attractive features. Correct?

I have never used a a horned plane before, but it appears that they would be easier to use hard for a long time, compared to a Bailey style metal-bodies plane, Japanese plane, or a Krenov style plane. Has that been your experience?

Stan
    Stan,

I couldn't have said it better on all counts. Light weight and the horn just work, add in easy adjustment and you have a tool that would be hard to improve on. Then figure in its price point and I'm amazed that more folks are not using it.

ken

Stan,

I couldn't have said it better on all counts. Light weight and the horn just work, add in easy adjustment and you have a tool that would be hard to improve on. Then figure in its price point and I'm amazed that more folks are not using it.

ken
    $90 at Highland. Helluva deal.

L-N is $165. LV is $130.

Thanks.

A dedicated scrub is a great thing (any decent make). I have the LV, and it makes short work of ugly twists and cups in lumber. Not as light as some, but the momentum and a properly lubed/waxed sole let it take nice thick curls with ease. Also, even on a scrub, sharp makes a huge difference. If you get lazy and forget for a while, you won't realize how much more effort you are putting out until you sharpen it up.

IMO the wedged ECEs are a terrific bargain. I have the jointer with a "Lignum Vitae" (actually Verawood) sole and it has proven to be an outstanding plane in use. As you say they don't get as much forum love as they deserve. I don't have the scrub because I already have the LV, but it would be near the top of my list if I were looking.

As I've said a few times I'm not such a fan of their pricier "Optimus" planes. I think that they add cost and complexity far in excess of their incremental benefit, but others will weight such tradeoffs differently.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 10-11-2017 at 12:52 AM.

One thing to note here is that the ECE scrub's sole is boxed (in Hornbeam), so it should hold up better than a typical beech plane.

I have two scrub planes.....that H-F #33 was remade into a #3 sized scub, with a 3" radius grind on the iron.....then there is the Scrub Jack.....8" radius, #5 plane. Cheap ($6!) fairly light for a jack, and has a huge mouth. Then again....
    flat poplar.jpg
    About any old, cambered Jack can do this sort of work....

Blog Entries
    About any old, cambered Jack can do this sort of work....
    Or even a junior jack. Sometimes my #6 gets used like a scrub plane.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Or even a junior jack. Sometimes my #6 gets used like a scrub plane.

jtk
    If you look far enough back the #6-ish "Fore" was actually the standard roughing plane in England. Smaller Scrubs were a Continental thing IIRC.

Traditional wedge abutment planes rarely rate a mention on this forum.

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 10-11-2017 at 12:22 AM.

Took my tool tote and a couple of cedar boards out to the broken fence. Replaced some boards then the last board - old fence - crooked. The board needed to taper more than inch in 6 feet. Snapped a line which seemed to confuse the young fellows fixing their fence next door. They stared as I clamped the board in my workmate and trimmed to the line with my old Stanley scrub plane. Job done - young guys came and asked to borrow an extension cord. Scrub plane - the right tool for the job!