Thread: Hour meter on a lathe

Hour meter on a lathe

Has anyone ever put an hourmeter on a lathe? If yes how did you do it and how were your results? Thanks in advance, Kevin

Never heard of anybody doing that. Why would you need to know?

I am a member of a woodturning club and think it would be good information how much usethe lathes get other than meetings. I am retired from construction industry and maintenance was done on hours of use. Just a thought!

David DeCristoforo

Broader question...Do lathes ever wear out? Do any of you have lathes whose bearings have died from use?

I replaced the bearings on my Jet 1642 after 10 years. Lots of unballenced blanks. Turning 3-4 hours a day, 4 days a week.

bearings wear out just like on cars and boat trailers. some are made so replacement is no more than an inconvenience and others are throw aways. Some bearings seems to last a hundred years and others seem to go to crap in a few months. I have seen bad bearings in new water pumps. Seized up within seconds. Depends on quality control and construction mostly. I do not think there is any normal hours for a bearing. I have farm equipment that has been neglected and beat to crap and the bearings keep on chugging after 60 years. If you regularly launch a trailered boat in salt water, even good bearings may only last a year or two regardless of road time

I added a digital RPM readout to my Robust AB when new - it included an hour meter as part of the tach hardware. Didn't need the digital readout, so I took the whole thing off. Haven't thought about the hour meter, but, with a 7 year warranty on virtually everything on the lathe, didn't think it was necessary...

Blog Entries
    I know many believe changing engine oil based on hours is preferred over miles. Makes good sense to me. Slow start/stop driving is harder on an engine that a constant highway speed, so hours would factor that in where miles would not.
    Not really relevant to this subject, though.

I can't think of a reason that you would need to know the usage on a wood lathe. The bearings are sealed and there are no grease fittings. Maybe some metal lathes with oil filled gear cases that need to be changed after X hours, but not on a wood lathe. It's only use would be bragging rights at the woodturning club to mention how many hours you spend at the lathe.
    Steve