Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workshop walls?

Workshop walls?

I'm almost ready to put up a partition to separate the shop area from the garage bay.

What would you suggest I cover the walls with?

Thought about drywall because it's easy to paint and I need something bright due to lack of windows.
    There are drawbacks to drywall, though because it's fragile (easy to knock holes in), though easily repaired.

Because my shop is small with only one window at one end, I think I'd want a light finish.

Because of my small floor area, I will be filling every inch of wall space with something to keep as much off the floor that I can.

I know I can't make a silk purse from this sow's ear and it doesn't need to be fancy; just functional and efficient.

Thanks for your continued patience and indulgence.

I'm hoping your experience, as I ask questions on my set up, will help me reduce mistakes.

If you're dealing with a small shop, you are going to be dealing with a serious lack of wall space for storage. Not knowing the positioning of the wall, I would recommend putting the studs on 8s instead of 16s (probably not needed and likely overkill) and using a 1/2" plywood. This will allow you to use virtually the entire surface for storage solutions if necessary. With drywall, you are limited to stud locations. Since it is likely an interior wall, you can always use drywall on the garage side to make it look better on that side and pain the plywood white or another color on the inside.
    Last edited by Sam Beatty; 10-11-2017 at 9:26 AM.

Blog Entries
    I put up 7/16" OSB, primed with B.I.N. and painted gloss white; used screws so I can remove panels if required. Up'd my lighting's output considerably and gave me a good surface for mounting my cleat wall.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

There are many variations to the theme you can do here. Drywall by itself can be somewhat limiting in the shop, but some of that can be mitigated by various methods, such as using a French cleat system to hang storage or installing 1/4" drywall over plywood if you really need that "finished" look. Many folks will use painted OSB or plywood...or even T1-11 painted. (Half my shop has T1-11 on the wall left natural and the other half is painted OSB)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for all those great suggestions.

They give me some things to think about.

My interior partition will be @ 16' long with a @6' "L" wall with a door into the garage area.

The exterior wall is a crude plank wall with a few random studs.
    Right now it has pegboard on it but I'm not convinced I want to stay with that.
    May build a big wall cabinet on that wall.

Looking to put some minor insulation in so I can get a little heat.

Sam, the 8" OC may be a little more than I need because the plywood would have some strength that drywall wouldn't.

Definitely want to go with a light paint to brighten up.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Foster View Post
    Sam, the 8" OC may be a little more than I need because the plywood would have some strength that drywall wouldn't.
    Yeah, I thought about that as soon as I posted it =p

I have a stand alone woodworking shop. I finished the walls with 1/2" plywood and to keep cost down I went with 1/2" sheetrock on the ceiling. I regret using sheetrock on the ceiling. Within a few weeks, I had dings in it. I'd go with 1/2" plywood.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Larry,

I put 1/2" radiata pine plywood in my shop on studs at 16" centers in walls (and on ceilings). I really like the smooth surface, will take paint beautifully, and is quite strong - I can mount shelves and brackets anywhere. On the ceiling it simplifies hanging power reels and light fixture hangers. I put all plywood up with star drive deck screws so I can take any panel down for updates or repairs to wiring or compressed air plumbing.

If this will be inspected you should probably check with your codes person. I understand plywood wall paneling is not permitted in certain areas due to fire codes.

JKJ

Blueboard over the spray foam insulation to make the inspector happy then maple slatwall on top of that for storage running from 3 ft up to 7 ft. The light color works nicely in the shop. I hang a lot of heavy stuff on the slatwall with no problems.

(My plaster guy won't do drywall, so it's blueboard with a "quick and dirty" plaster skim. (he calls it that, but you have to look pretty hard for the imperfections))

7/16" OSB, primer and flat, bright white paint.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Thanks, all.
    You have helped me tremendously and I appreciate it.

I'm only doing walls because I only have 6' from floor to ceiling and the ceiling joists are pretty rough.
    (I'm 5'9-1/2")
    I saw some ideas for making storage in the rafters with bins that I'm contemplating

I'm hoping it will start looking like a shop, a little, by early next week.
    Then, I'll grab some pics for your input

I thought of adding a wall between my shop and garage space but decided against it. By having the garage space next to my shop I was able to set my table saw and planer on the edge between the two sections. That way if I have a long board to cut on the saw or run through the planer I just move our van out which then gives me plenty of outfeed space. The space has also come in handy for assembly space for large projects.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I have the wall framing up and just got the plywood for the partitions.

I wanted to divide it because I wanted the shop defined and it's a smaller area to try to heat

Even though I refer to the building as a garage, I can't remember (in my 67 years) a car ever being in there.

One side was always where my dad (and I) kept our 1949 Farmall Cub as well as mowers, tillers and various other sundry equipment and junk.

Most of you would call it a shed.

I would prefer OSB on the walls and ceiling in my shop but I had to use sheet rock. The reason for the sheet rock is because I have a living space above the shop, basically an apartment that I built for my Dad which is now my shop office.

If your shop is attached to your home you might want to consult your building codes department and ask if you can use any other material besides sheet rock on walls or the ceiling that are attached to the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    If your shop is attached to your home you might want to consult your building codes department and ask if you can use any other material besides sheet rock on walls or the ceiling that are attached to the house.
    I did read that in some locations and circumstances where plywood was not normally allowed it could be used if coated with fire retardant paint. I don't know the details (or the cost!)

JKJ