Thread: Is there an alternative to CA glue that does better with gluing gaps?

Is there an alternative to CA glue that does better with gluing gaps?

I am looking for a glue that has the drying speed closer to CA glue, doesn't need to be as fast, but can be applied in a gap of, say, 1/16".

Oh, it also needs to be affordable...

Why is it when I try to glue a joint with CA glue, if the joint doesn't hold and I try to re-glue it, the glue has no holding power? Its almost like once CA glue is on a surface, the CA glue can't be applied to a spot with dried CA glue on it?

thanks,

DW

Epoxy. There exists thicker consistency CA glue for gap filling. I have bad luck using it, and keeping the bottle clean enough for easy reuse.
    Epoxy, while requiring mixing, has been easier for me.

Do you think rubber cement would work? The holding strength doesn't need to be super high, and I would like to find something simple enough that my 7 year old can use it. Mixing epoxy might be a little above his level... Sorry, I didn't mention this in the original post.

DW

A UV curable epoxy can be set in a few seconds without open time restrictions. You need a UV lamp to cure it so it might not be the best choice for a one time job.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

First of all, I tried coaching an Odyssey of the Mind team of 10 year olds with CA glue, and it was a nightmare. It is way too easy to glue your fingers together and to rip your skin trying to UNstick them.

I don't recommend that for kids.

What is the application?

E6000?

It's my daughter's perennial go to starting with 2nd grade Girl Scouts, through a decade of Odyssey of the Mind, and longer in serious cosplay costuming (think Comic Con.) There is other glue in the supply box(es), but the E6000 gets used 99+% of the time.

For wood, or other similar materials, hot hide glue. Sticks almost instantly and if strength is not a concern, will fill small gaps. Sands nicely, non toxic. Even better, it's easily reversible if you don't get it right the first time.

I have used a 2-part epoxy from the big box stores with good success. Mix in some saw dust and you are good to go. Attractive price also.

Have you tried "thick" CA glue (gel consistency)? it should work for 1/16" gaps

How about hot glue? The low temp glue and guns are fairly kid safe.

I'm with John on hot glue. I "taught" a small group of 8 years olds last year and we had no issue at all using hot glue guns. Your success will depend a lot on what you are gluing.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

I don't think there is much chance of offering a reliable opinion until the OP provides a little more information. The introduction of a young person into the picture could complicate the issue considerably.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dustin wassner View Post
    Why is it when I try to glue a joint with CA glue, if the joint doesn't hold and I try to re-glue it, the glue has no holding power? Its almost like once CA glue is on a surface, the CA glue can't be applied to a spot with dried CA glue on it?

thanks,

DW
    Rockler sells a spray can of "activator" for CA glue. You spray it on one piece of wood and apply the glue to the other and you get an instant bond when you press them together. Or, you can apply your glue and put the pieces together and then spray the surface and it will cure the glue.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

For a 7 YO, I can't think of anything but a low-melt hot glue gun. Or teach him why things should fit together better so the CA will work. Epoxy would be a disaster waiting to happen. You could try a "household glue" like Duco Cement or Goop. Drying time would be long if it's thick. Don't let him sniff it or play with matches while he's gluing.

If it's an adult doing the gluing, I'd agree with glue-pot hide glue. Or an epoxy filler like JB Weld depending on the materials involved.