Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LV Miter guide.

LV Miter guide.

Anyone has tried them so far? Looks cheap....... enough for a go at it. I still recommend sawing straight without a jig.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...38&cat=51&ap=1

Seem pretty extraneous to me. You can cut close enough with a pencil line or even by eye as long as you use a shooting board afterwards to finish the miter.

Have a Stanley #2246 and a Langdon #75.....and a GEM.....WHY would I need this new item....

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Mikes View Post
    You can cut close enough with a pencil line or even by eye as long as you use a shooting board afterwards to finish the miter.
    +1. Nothing gets you better precision than a shooting board or the like.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 10-11-2017 at 2:41 PM.

I think these guides only help reduce wear on the miter box. That said, they make constructing a miter box much more difficult. I would just go with the simple wooded box made from hardwood. Lets say you wear out the 45 groove - just cut a new one 1/2 inch away and you are back in business.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I think these guides only help reduce wear on the miter box. That said, they make constructing a miter box much more difficult. I would just go with the simple wooded box made from hardwood. Lets say you wear out the 45 groove - just cut a new one 1/2 inch away and you are back in business.
    Not to sound sarcastic, but I really do appreciate the infusion of common sense.
    I was lusting after the inserts for the past few months. :P

I realize that does sound sarcastic, but I also really lack common sense and was thinking of making a mahogany miter box with blind dovetails...urgh.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    Not to sound sarcastic, but I really do appreciate the infusion of common sense.
    I was lusting after the inserts for the past few months. :P

I realize that does sound sarcastic, but I also really lack common sense and was thinking of making a mahogany miter box with blind dovetails...urgh.
    Bench accessories can be made of any wood a person chooses. Most folks will select any scrap that is straight and inexpensive. Bench accessories are made to be used and tend to wear out over time.

Some of my bench hooks have 45º angle cuts to use like a miter box to trim pieces.

My old shooting board was reconfigured with some attachments to clean angled cuts:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...44777-Oh-Shoot!

Roy Underhill also has an episode of the Woodwright's shop about various bench jigs one of which is a shop made miter box:

http://www.pbs.org/video/woodwrights...ing-lid-boxes/

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I tend to use the crappiest wood out there for heavily used jigs like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Bench accessories can be made of any wood a person chooses. Most folks will select any scrap that is straight and inexpensive. Bench accessories are made to be used and tend to wear out over time.

Some of my bench hooks have 45º angle cuts to use like a miter box to trim pieces.

My old shooting board was reconfigured with some attachments to clean angled cuts:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...44777-Oh-Shoot!

Roy Underhill also has an episode of the Woodwright's shop about various bench jigs one of which is a shop made miter box:

http://www.pbs.org/video/woodwrights...ing-lid-boxes/

jtk
    Jim,

Thanks for the links. I can count on you to provide useful and entertaining links on most subjects. And as always Roy is a hoot to watch and even if you never plan to build his project there is usually something good to takeaway.

ken

I saw an antique miter box at a flea market that had ornate cast iron versions of these; I still wish I had gotten it, even if it was very warped. I plane or cope to final fit, so a box like this with guides is good to get close and doesn't get mistaken for scrap wood. I would have gotten these Lee valley ones if they weren't plastic - yes, probably better performance than cast iron, but that's not in my particular...idiom.

Keep an eye out for a GEM..
    unfolded mitrebox.jpg
    It will use just about any crosscut saw....guides are metal
    backsaw.jpg
    They are usually un-folded, and a few screws to fasten things down, through holes provided. When done for the day..
    folded mitre box.jpg
    Remove the screws, and the brass rod these used to keep it from folding up in use. Then just stash in the tool box.
    art work.jpgUsually, the look like this, when found. Not a big deal to replace the beds...
    This came with a backsaw, at a garage sale,...$10...

I wish I had your yard sales.

Mine have used liberal books from the 70-80's, trashy bodice ripper novels, and VHS exercise tapes

I also found one like Steven has in his post. Came from an antique shop in Northern Ohio,

Folding miter box 2012.jpg
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

mitresaw.jpg
    While repairing the burned out bedroom, I need a way to cut door and window trim IN the room. Room was on the second floor, shop is in the basement......a few screws to hold this to a sawhorse, and away we went..
    saw bench.jpg
    "Sawhorse" was actually my Saw Bench....

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Andersson View Post
    I saw an antique miter box at a flea market that had ornate cast iron versions of these; I still wish I had gotten it, even if it was very warped. I plane or cope to final fit, so a box like this with guides is good to get close and doesn't get mistaken for scrap wood. I would have gotten these Lee valley ones if they weren't plastic - yes, probably better performance than cast iron, but that's not in my particular...idiom.
    One aspect has not been mentioned here: if the Lee Valley guides are made from uhmw plastic, then they will be both indestructible and be a really smooth guide for the saw blade. I added pieces of uhmw inside the guides on the mitre box I recently restored. It now glides ...

Regards from Perth

Derek