Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LV Miter guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I added pieces of uhmw inside the guides on the mitre box I recently restored. It now glides ...
    How did you get them to stay put Derek? Is there a type of glue that will adhere to UHMW?
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Hilton, I used epoxy. So far it is still holding on. It's not as though there is much stress.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 10-15-2017 at 1:22 PM.

Rather NOT add that stuff to my mitre box guides.....when they already have roller bearings as OEM....

Let the weight of the saw do it's job, guides will actually sit low on top of the saw's spine. Unless you intend to add a strip there...

About the only time my saws hit the bearings, is when I have the depth stops set up. At which time, the cut is usually done, anyway....maybe one or two swipes until you realize saw is done with the cut.

Steven, the point here is that the OP asked about the Lee Valley mitre box kit. My post was to add information - that the nylon used is very durable, and probably less destructive and smoother than the vintage brass versions it copied.

Just for interest, I do have a Miller Falls 74C, which is on the right.

This has rollers for the saw. However, the saw that received the UHMV was the dinky MF 15, on the left. That is it before restoration. I also needed to make a saw for it ...

Back to the point of the thread: that LV kit probably works very well.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 10-15-2017 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Hilton, I used epoxy. So far it is still holding on. It's not as tough there is much stress.
    Thanks Derek!
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Thanks for posting, John. Sometimes I use a small home made box for my Gent saw when ever I need to cut very small 1/4" x 1/4" or less parts. Think window bead/ jewelry box moulding, etc. These should work nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bontz View Post
    Thanks for posting, John. Sometimes I use a small home made box for my Gent saw when ever I need to cut very small 1/4" x 1/4" or less parts. Think window bead/ jewelry box moulding, etc. These should work nicely.
    For small parts, this is the miter box I use:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...00&cat=1,42884

Simon