Thread: Looking for miter box.

Looking for miter box.

Im looking for a miter box, i would be fine with vintage or new, i do t have a ton of money. I mainly want it for trimming out my upnorth cabin/shed where I don't have power. Any suggestions on where to find one?

Blog Entries
    Mine have been found at second hand stores and garage sales.

It might be just as easy to make a wooden miter box and set up a shooting board. As long as you do not need to cut a lot of weird angles this might be easier than buying a miter box to restore.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi Cody,
    I’ve found mine at garage sales/flea markets and the auction sites. I listed a Millers Falls 73 #2 back in May, but no takers. It’s missing the post stops to hold the saw up, and the work piece holders/stops, but certainly usable. Shipping is a bit ridiculous, but may be about the same as gas from Midland to Oakland County. If you’d like it for the price of shipping, or care to drive down to pick it up, pm me.
    Phil

650E14EF-E376-4301-B3CC-8A1E9BF2E089.jpg 798F4038-2D7D-41A7-A3EA-3CDF8D3960AB.jpg2D4A4A48-6C06-4BD1-A89A-D0BB6C9A57E7.jpg

Blog Entries
    I restored a vintage Millers Falls(MF) 74C and a Stanley 150. The Stanley 150 is much smaller and lighter. It can make a wider cut, without wasting large portions of both ends of the saw too. The MF is more precise. I use it more for construction type work. I over cut most hard woods and plane or rasp them to fit. I believe if you are diligent in your search you will find the Stanley for less $. I just bought mine from that auction site which can not be named.

PMed this post

My brother gave me his about ten years ago. He was a neanderthal type of guy. It is the best thing since sliced bread!

I don't use it often but when I do, WOW! I just used it after replacing a lot of flooring to cut new toe molding. I did not scrap one piece. Amazing! Plus, it does not throw dust all over the place like a power miter saw. Nor does it fling itty bitty pieces around.

Get yourself a decent one. Mine obviously did not see a whole lot of use. Has all the stops, saw is in great shape. It is about a hundred years old now.

So, NO, you cannot have mine. LOL.

What level of quality is a steel craft miter box, there is one with a saw locally for 10$00u0u_5vtZC3obFcp_600x450.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by cody michael View Post
    Im looking for a miter box, i would be fine with vintage or new, i do t have a ton of money. I mainly want it for trimming out my upnorth cabin/shed where I don't have power. Any suggestions on where to find one?
    The most popular modern option are the Nobex miter boxes. LV, highland, and thebestthings all sell them. I have the Champion 180 and like it a lot. It makes straight and accurate cuts, is light, stores compactly, etc.

Depends on the saw. And how tight everything is. Looks like a version of the Stanley #150...
    red letters.jpg
    IF things are set up for no slop in the cut...should be a fine starter box.

I found a Stanley miter box (looks like a no 60) at antique/ garage sale. I got a no 220 plane for 50$ for both. My phone isn't letting me post pics. I will upload some soon

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f89qvn89s10aysg/AAD3VHsokih7ldCWRAtKQgIZa?dl=032085.jpg32081.jpg32082.jpg32083.jpg32080.jpg
    Last edited by cody michael; 10-19-2017 at 7:56 PM.

more pics,

what is the best way to clean up the saw blade, I want to try and get the etching more visible.
    Attached Images Attached Images