Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: making finger planes

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    Then again, a fellow creeper recommend that I just buy an Ibex--which I might.
    The Ibex planes are nice. I have the palm plane (28 mm iron) and the largest finger plane (18 mm iron). The mouth adjustment is a nice touch, though it took me some practice to consistently get irons in and out without nicking them when the mouth is set tight.

The Veritas palm planes (actually 3/8" finger planes with removable palm rests) are another good option. I find those to be somewhat easier to set up and use than the Ibex planes, but they lack the adjustable mouth. Obviously there's a lot of personal preference involved here, so YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    https://finelystrung.com/tag/finger-planes/

Here's another. I'm not sure if I'd be confident enough to carve a dai out from scratch, but it's worth trying.
    I do have some desert Ironwood that I could use for the soles.
    Martyn's own Krenov-style finger planes should be pretty easy to make, but I think you're referring to the ones by Wouter Hilhorst in the second article?

FWIW the Japanese irons from Dictum referenced in the context of the Hilhorst planes appear to be these (I was curious enough to go looking).
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 10-14-2017 at 12:09 AM.

Looks like my last 5 posts didn't go through.

Patrick-> I agree with you on the Lignum Vitae. If I had that big a chunk, I'd make a mallet or resaw it for soles.
    I feel that the slipperiness is likely why the ebay lignum vitae planes looked pristine--they probably weren't used.

FWIW, I found this webpage to be a wealth of knowledge:
    https://finelystrung.com/tag/violin-making-planes/

I'll be looking in my scraps bin for some desert ironwood that had been set aside.
    I also have some pear and maple for the bodies.

Well, I made a sort of halfhearted and hurried start on a finger plane today. I have a .050" feeler gage that I sharpened the end of and have been using as a small chisel sort of thing. It was holding an edge OK so I decided to use it for a finger plane blade. I think it'll be adequate. I ground the square end sort of like the top of a Stanley plane blade and ground the rounded end to an edge. I grabbed an appropriately sized bit of mesquite chunk, laid out the throat and set out chopping. The cheek promptly blew out. So I grabbed a larger piece and rived ( Rove?) A straight grain chunk from that. A quick few passes with a Jack plane and it's getting close to size. Of course that's where I ran out of time, so more later, kids.

I have made a few small planes and have always used beech. If you get it quartersawn and kiln dried, it is very stable and wears well. In addition, it is easy to work and takes crisp detail. My second and third choices would be boxwood and persimmon.

Patrick, beat me to it!

I tried replying twice, but couldn't post it.
    Same thing.

For some reason, my last three posts didn't make it?

Anyways, I'll try to make a few planes and post pictures here.
    If they don't turn out well, I can always just buy one.

If nothing else, one could buy that little three plane set at H-F......and re-use the irons in a body they make.....

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    If nothing else, one could buy that little three plane set at H-F......and re-use the irons in a body they make.....
    Or reshape the supplied bodies a bit. They're cheap enough.
    (https://www.harborfreight.com/3-piec...set-97545.html) $12.99.

I've made some for a one of need via the Dunwell/Krenov/Luthier supply. If you dimension the wood carefully, and build some small miter sawing hooks for the bed and breast angles, and perhaps a shooting board situation for squaring the long grain you can use the same methods completely with hand tools. Get in the shop, start doing it, post results! I'd love to see.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

I've tried replying about 6 times, but the replies don't get through.

Bridger, I agree with you about the Lignum Vitae.
    Patrick beat me to it.

FWIW, I have some desert ironwood that I epoxied to some wood (pearwood, mahogany).
    I'll try to make one in a few days if conditions work out, and post pictures.

I'm neither skilled nor experienced...if I can do it, pretty much anyone can!