Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best woods for outdoors?

Thank you all for the continued suggestions. The thought of the beauty of white oak made me forget about the tannic acid. Osage orange sounds good, and is easy to get. Any idea about its weather resistance? I'm thinking more along the lines of the unexpected drenching storm or fall into the water regarding weather resistance.

You might also look to get some cutoffs from a decking professional - the tropical woods they use are incredibly dense and tough, like ipe, cumaru, tigerwood, and garapa. You can usually find off cuts and left over scrap for very cheap. And this stuff wears like iron outdoors.

Remember that the rot resistance property relates to HEART WOOD. The sap wood is not nearly so resistant.

Is it a working machete or ornamental? What type of elements will it be exposed to and for what periods of time?
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

How well do these woods glue up?

Working machete. Camping use.

David, I suspect you are overthinking this. Unless you plan to leave it outside, on the ground for weeks and months, just grab something in your stack and make a sheath. I can't imagine that you are going to leave a steel tool exposed to the extent that even an oiled 2 x 4 would rot. I made a blade guard for my bowsaw out of a stick of cherry and after years of camping and yard work, it looks as good as new. Of course, it is stored out of the weather when not in the field. Anyway, the second one you make should be an upgrade after you figure out where you went wrong on the first one. Great camping weather right now. Enjoy.

Thank you, Bill. Overthinking is another of my hobbies