Thread: users of sorby sharpening system

users of sorby sharpening system

looking for your input on pros and cons of system-----tks. joe

I have used one for over one year and have been very pleased. I am at best a weekend turner so replacement belts have not been an major expense. Once I hade my primary grinds completed, switched to the 120 grit belt. Leaves a very smooth, sharp edge.

I have used mine for almost two years now and couldn't be more pleased. Like Glen once I set the profile of each of my grinds a 120 belt is used for everything. I am on my second 120 ceramic belt.
    What I like is how fast I can go from a bowl gouge to a scraper to a spindle gouge, etc. I feel it provides a very even sharp edge.

I'm using a old 2 X 48 Kalmazoo belt grinder with a Oneway Wolverine and Vari-Grind shop made clone jigs. All I use it for is my bowl gouges and it does an excellent job. I'm sharpening on the platen so no hollow grind. I can go from 36 grit to 2,000 grit in 15 seconds. I normally use 180 grit 3M belts that last a really long time.

I sharpen skews, scrapers, and other tools on a conventional grinder.
    Larry

I don't know very much about the Sorby belt sharpening system, although I do sharpen some of my tools on a belt. But for a skew and a bowl gouge, I prefer a hollow grind. I typically use a diamond card file to touch up between major resharpenings. I like that the touch up only touches a small portion of the skew or gouge and only removes the material on the two edges. I think that this touch up reduces the amount of metal I remove.

I have had one since they were introduced to the US. The ProEdge is easily portable, unlike bench grinders. Changing from coarse to fine abrasives takes only seconds. Changing angle for scrapers, roughing gouges, parting tools and skews is quick and repeatable. If you are having difficulty with getting a good side grind for a bowl gouge, check Glenn Lucas' sharpening video. The 2"x30-1/2" belts can be purchased from several sources at varying prices according to abrasive type. The common type abravive belt gets too flexible above 280 or 320 grit, but the Trizact belts work if you want to aim for a polished edge and bevel. As for me I keep a couple of coarse belts for reshaping or repair of damaged edges, and use a 240 ceramic belt for edge maintenance. Tools last longer.

I made my own belt sander using a 4" grinder from Harbor Freight following the pictures in this link. http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/h...10-17#post5399

I added a mount and a router speed controller to keep the speed reasonable. It's cost was less than a $100 the grinder, the router control and scraps at the salvage yard. I did add a platen as belt backer and a shelf. The 30x2 sanding belts came from the local welders supply, that cost added up faster than the other parts. The chisel platform is similar to Capt Eddies.

I love mine!
    It's s easy to use, but pricey!
    My tools look like they came right from the factory after sharpening them.
    Belts can be had at Klingspors.com at a reasonable cost.
    My One Way Wolverine jigs are now for sale!!!