Thread: Dado on Slider

Dado on Slider

I'd had the dado since getting the saw (secondhand), but typically opted for a router when considering dadoing or rabbeting material. Or I used the Unisaw dedicated to flat bottomed box joints for short runs.

Yesterday I had a project that seemed custom designed for using the slider, with tall (7') relatively narrow (15-1/2") case sides where I thought dados ad rabbets would make it a cleaner build. Tried it out and it worked out great. The fence stops made indexing wonderfully fast, easy and repeatable. The largest (most time consuming) effort was replacing the throat which someone in the engineering department decided should be bolted from the bottom. It would have been much more straightforward using flathead allen bolts captive in the plate and threaded into the cast-iron top. I suspect European safety regulations prohibit use of dado heads so the need wasn't perceived.

There was also a bit of effort sizing the head to the material thickness. The cherry plywood varied quite a bit more than I would have expected. I opted for a slot in the middle of the range easily achieved with shims. One surprise was the amount of rearward pressure. The cutting head is a 6" 24 tooth design marketed by Laguna but built in Canada. It looks like the same head distributed by Felder and manufactured by FS Tool. If I hadn't been so lazy I would have turned the fence around. Instead I just put on a lever clamp and went slowly. I also probably should have moved the fence to the center of the slider for a smoother cut. But I had more full sheets to size and didn't want to have to move it back.

Anyway, it was nice to use the saw for something new and find it worked so successfully.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Wow
    half shop, half church

Funny, just yesterday while cleaning up my slider I realized I had never taken advantage of the fact that my particular unit is dado-capable...and here is your thread showing exactly that application. And yea...wow...nice shop!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Bill your shop looks like a nice place to work.
    Thanks for the tip on the slider
    Aj

don't have a dado blade

I could use a dado blade for my K3 winner, surprised someone does not offer a dado drilled to fit. The Oshlun I got from Carbide Processors works great on my unisaw, after my buddy reamed it just ever so slightly so it does not bind up on the arbor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    I could use a dado blade for my K3 winner, surprised someone does not offer a dado drilled to fit. The Oshlun I got from Carbide Processors works great on my unisaw, after my buddy reamed it just ever so slightly so it does not bind up on the arbor.
    Jim, many vendors offer a dado unit drilled to the Felder pattern. Felder of course sell a 2 or 3 piece cutter for it.

I have an FS Tools one.................Regards, Rod.

Nice shop Bill!! More pics! More pics! More pics!!!

8. Nice shop indeed. I have a dado set for mine but have yet to try it out, still using my old Unisaw for dados.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Conover View Post
    Nice shop indeed. I have a dado set for mine but have yet to try it out, still using my old Unisaw for dados.
    Brandon, did you get the dado table insert with your MM slider? I just noticed that there is on in my parts listing book and it's making me "think". (which could be a dangerous thing...)
    --

10. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Brandon, did you get the dado table insert with your MM slider? I just noticed that there is on in my parts listing book and it's making me "think". (which could be a dangerous thing...)
    ha, I did. It's hanging on the wall in my shop. You're welcome to borrow it anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Conover View Post
    ha, I did. It's hanging on the wall in my shop. You're welcome to borrow it anytime.
    I appreciate that offer...of course, that would mean I'd have to buy a dado set again or the Magic Molder. LOL I sold a very nice Forrest Dado King after I bought the slider, not really thinking about the future. "D'oh!!"...

That said, what I might do sometime is borrow it to use as a template to make an identical one instead of buying the OEM unit. Maybe...
    --