Thread: Shaper Origin almost here

Shaper Origin almost here

I know there were a few here who ordered early so is anyone out there getting anxious to take delivery? I haven't received the email yet but I'm hoping it shows up soon.

I wouldnt hold your breath until you have a tracking number for the shipment. Theyve pushed that thing out for years now.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

John,
    I am in your shoes too - awaiting for e-mail from Shaper Origin.
    Ed

The whole project always struck me as one that was full of a lot of issues; some which may be be extremely difficult to resolve. Put that together that the these types of developers seem to be perfectionists. I learned my lesson a long time ago concerning pre-ordering products from a start-up company or an idea in development. There are just so many development, manufacturing, and product quality control issues, that it is unlikely to ever come out on time. Good luck. It seems like a dream power tool. It's the old Woodpecker syndrome and they are an established company.

Just got the email! However, the page to enter the shipping address will not save it. Kinda funny but here's to hoping it's just a temporary glitch.

Just a quick follow up to an old thread.

The Origin arrived a few days ago and it was worth the wait. Haven't had a lot of time with it yet but if you have a chance to get hands on one to test drive, I would recommend it. Really cool and useful piece of equipment.

Useful how? I own a LOT of stationary cnc equip for all materials and never needed it light weight or portable. So curious on your uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Useful how? I own a LOT of stationary cnc equip for all materials and never needed it light weight or portable. So curious on your uses.
    Have your ever considered that not everyone is a production shop and not everyone has room for stationary CNC equipment? Just sayin

John

Congrats on the new tool.
    It seems like a pretty interesting setup and now that it is finally in the hands of end users, I think that things may really begin to take off with it.
    I've watched a few videos on it. It's slick. If using tape can remove the step of making templates, that's going to be very nice.
    I would like to see one in real action though. Looking forward to your reviews and feedback.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I saw, and got to use, one of these at IWF in Vegas last year. Very cool, but I passed on the pre-order. I'm just not an early adopter. When the kinks are worked out and they can ship one the day I order it then I'll buy.

I have a 48" x 96" CNC, but I can see uses for this. Just this morning I was mortising hinges on door jambs and thinking about how I wouldn't be nailing a template down if I had a Shaper Origin. Theoretically I could mortise the jambs on my big CNC, but indexing the material to the required level of accuracy isn't that easy with my machine. Then there's the issue of mortising the edge of the door. I don't have 3' of Z for that regardless.

I used to build restaurants and did a fair amount of remodels. You could probably make some pretty good money doing custom engraving on tables and bar tops that wouldn't be practical to bring back to the shop.