Thread: Enhancing Poplar Weed Pot

Enhancing Poplar Weed Pot

I just turned a poplar weed pot. I chose Poplar because it is pretty inexpensive and turns quite well and I'm a new turner in need of a lot of experience.

Poplar is a pretty bland wood, at least in my experience. So I was wondering about adding some "pop" to this vase. I have Minwax wipe on stain finishes.. but, I was thinking of dying with some colors.

What might one suggest? I know there are water based dyes, alcohol based and probably others.

Thanks for any and all input. While I might simply use what I have in the Minwax cans.. I'd like to think, at least for me, a bit more "out of the box"

Cheers, Bill

You will not like pigment based stains like Minwax on poplar. A water or alcohol soluble dye is a better choice and for "colors" the latter may be more vibrant. If you want to get fancy, you could get an airbrush and do some interesting multi-color effects, both on and off the lathe.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim. I'll have to do some internet searches. Not sure if paint stores will carry stuff like this. Maybe Michaels or an art store.

I am not hip to Turner lingo.......

"Weed Pot" ? ?

Is that where you "Put yer Weed" ?

Marc

If you recall years ago "Woodburst Stain" that came in very bright colors... Here's who took that over -

I did a Feinwerkbau Target Rifle laminated Oak stock years ago in a bright green w Polyester finish. Marc

http://barbarabutler.com/onlinestore.php

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Jeske View Post
    I am not hip to Turner lingo.......

"Weed Pot" ? ?

Is that where you "Put yer Weed" ?

Marc
    I had the same thought when I read that title, Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I had the same thought when I read that title, Marc.
    Weed pots are small vases for dried twigs or weeds...what 'kind' of weed is up to you

Bill, I've had luck with Transtint dyes in alcohol and I believe Steve Schlumpf has had good luck using Ritz fabric dye, I forget if he uses water or alcohol, but a quick search in the turners forum should help.
    Maria
    A woodchick can chuck wood

weed pots

Also, unlike larger vessels, weed pots are generally drilled instead of hollowed, very quick to make and people love them! I either turn a wooden mandrel or use the drill bit as a mandrel to reverse and turn the bottom.

When I get time I like to make a bunch of small weed pots (2" high or less) just before Mother's day for my kindergarten class. I let each child pick one, and "sand" it with a bit of 600 paper, or if I finish them ahead of time I let them rub on a bit of wax, then pick a flower arrangement. These have a little card attached with the name of the wood and "Handmade by Bobby and Mr John". I've had mothers tell me years later they still had them!

weed_pots.jpg

Bill, you might also try enhancing the next poplar weed pot with some burned lines since poplar is a fairly light colored wood. I might try texturing, too. However, when I make a bunch of these I've noticed a simple design and wood without too much figure sometimes looks better once the flowers are added than one with busy detail in the turning or figure.

JKJ

Thanks all, great ideas. I also like to do a bit of pyrography so, JKJ's idea might fit in very well. I'da never thunk.