Thread: Steve Voigt in PopWood Mag

Steve Voigt in PopWood Mag

Our very own Steve has a full 10 pages in the latest PopWood Mag, making a coffin smoother. Just came in today's mail; just had time to scan. There's a lot in there and I'll have to go back to it for more detail. The bits I did read are very well written, so I assume it was thoroughly edited before publication.

Well done, Steve!
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Thanks Jim. I'll go buy a copy.

Congratulations Steve!!!!!

It's an exceptional article, though very "dense" as he's covering a number of somewhat specialized techniques in relatively few pages. It all made sense to me, but I knew a fair bit of it beforehand from other sources (including Steve's posts on various fora) as I'm currently researching the topic.

It's truly a relief to see a project for something other than laminated/Krenov planes.

Are there no modern sources for the double-iron arrangement for Steve's project plane?

I think Steve has to have them custom made.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    I think Steve has to have them custom made.
    Right, his are custom made by Lee Valley.

Thanks Jim, Fred, and Patrick for the comments, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    Are there no modern sources for the double-iron arrangement for Steve's project plane?
    Mike, Dan Schwank (Red Rose Reproductions) is starting to sell tapered slotted irons, but you'll need to find a vintage cap iron or make your own. Dan is mulling the idea of making the cap irons as well, so keep an eye on his site.
    Last edited by Steve Voigt; 10-15-2017 at 1:55 PM.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Thanks Steve. I will look into your suggestions.
    Your article is very well done. Congrats on that!
    I need to go through my odd parts box and see if I have a pair. I also have some dry beech in the wood racks, however my prior attempts at plane making did not have happy endings.

I MIGHT know where there are two narrow, old double irons are.....I am not having much luck rehabbing the old wood bodies.....Goldenberg irons.

Blog Entries
    Seeing this thread has me looking forward to reading the article. My copy showed up yesterday. My time has been consumed of late by among other things starting in on trying to sell a home in California. Of yet haven't had enough time to crack open the magazine other than while lying in bed and falling asleep.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)