Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sygic app versus a real GPS

Sygic app versus a real GPS

I've never used a real GPS. Sygic seems to work okay but sometimes comes up with weird routes. Wondering if anyone who has experience with Sygic and a dedicated GPS can tell me if I'm missing much. Sygic seemed to have a steep learning cure at least for me.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

I haven’t used Sygic but have used “real” GPS like Garmin, etc. I’ve only been using Google Maps for driving for years now, never had a problem and it works great.

If you have a smartphone, I suggest trying google maps. Waze is good too.

Like Matt I haven't used Sygic (actually never heard of it before your post) but have used older Garmin GPS's and built in GPS systems in my 2009 Murano and wife's 2015 Mini and Google Maps. The newest Garmin I have used is probably 10 years old so the interface is probably better now (same for the Murano GPS) but I prefer Google maps to any of the GPS's. First the interface is superior, I can simply say "OK Google Lee Valley" and it will find the nearest store and navigate to it. Don't know if the latest Garmin or other brands of GPS can do that. Also Google Maps is constantly updating via the internet, I updated my Murano GPS 2 years ago and a major new road that opened about the same time is missing and will remain missing unless I buy a newer update DVD (which I won't). As I said, my Garmin GPS is older so don't know if they have adopted a live internet based data base vs DVD or download static data base. Plus with a phone based system it's one less gadget to carry and keep charged.

I prefer our Garmin GPS, my wife prefers her cellphone using Google maps.

I download updated maps for our Garmin GPS periodically.

It's really a matter of preference as far as I can see.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    I never heard of Sygic before this, but it looks like the app tracks all sorts of other things on your phone and has ads. I think I'll stick with my Garmin.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

It's been many years since I had a stand-alone "dedicated" GPS device. While all of our vehicles have native NAV, keeping those maps up to date is expensive, so Google Maps and Apple Maps gets the nod pretty much 100% of the time. I prefer the former as I find Google updates things quicker and has more nimble re-routing than Apple Maps, but the latter is sometimes necessary since it's the default on iOS when you click through on an address for most other apps.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For those that prefer traditional GPS's like Garmin, what do you like about them over say Google maps?

Appreciate all the suggestions. I guess there are no Sygic users here so I'll explain a bit. There are no ads on Sygic if you pay the one time nominal fee for the features you want. I think I paid between 20 to 30 dollars. Unlike google maps or Waze it does not require wifi or cellular to work, only a GPS chip ( I'm using a small pad, easy to see) It uses Tom Tom maps which are downloaded into the used device beforehand. Maps are free to download and update. It has lane guidance, speed limit warnings, distance and direction of next turn, way points, alternate and custom routes and a dash cam. Dash cam is a feature that, assuming the device is mounted so it sees through the windshield, constantly records a 10 minute loop of video. One can save the video at any time or in case of a wreak or sudden stop it uses the devices accelerometer chip to save it automatically. Other features like traffic updates, speed trap warnings, etc probably do require a cellular connection. All the information I need is clearly displayed which I require as I can not understand voice directions. I'm not endorsing it in any way, just listing features so comparison to dedicated devices can be made. Further research and readings makes me believe I need not spend money on a dedicated device. Am I missing something a Garmin or similar offers?
    Last edited by Michael Weber; 10-15-2017 at 12:23 PM.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    Unlike google maps or Waze it does not require wifi or cellular to work, only a GPS chip
    Don't know about Waze but google maps can be used without wifi or cellular, you can download maps using wifi or cellular data and then turn off wifi and cellular data while driving.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    For those that prefer traditional GPS's like Garmin, what do you like about them over say Google maps?
    I like the fact that my GPS will work anywhere in the country even when there is no phone signal. Once you lose cell service many phone based apps don't work, Google Maps and others cease to work. We traveled extensively in Utah to see the five National Parks and rarely had cell service unless we were in a town, yet the GPS never lost signal.

You could probably test your driving app by running your phone in Airplane mode, where your don't get cell signal, and seeing if it still tracks your route.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

We bought our Garmin GPS from Costco and they had a special going for $75, lifetime updates on maps. Any time we are getting ready for a major trip, I update the GPS. Recently we flew to St. Louis, rented a car and drove for over 1500 miles in the Illinois and Missouri areas. My GPS traveled with me and worked well.

It really is a matter of personal taste...it's subjective.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Based on your description of what Sygic does, I don't think a stand alone GPS will do anything more for you. In fact, it will probably do less and cost more money. The one possible exception is screen size.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Google Maps and others cease to work.
    Google Maps supports off-line maps. Of course, you need to know in advance that you'll be without cellular connection so you can pre-fetch maps and it already pre-fetches a reasonably large area based on your travel route which deals with any short outages. I do have a TomTom app that emulates a dedicated GPS device which I originally bought because of some business travel to area that at the time had poor signals, but I honestly haven't actually used it in years.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sounds like it has some interesting features. But, my phone is always in my pocket, a quick couple keys on google maps and I’m off. It’s too easy for me to not use it. Just like folks with in car navigation tend to just use their phone as Jim said - anything else seems clunky.

If it works for you - great! The larger size of a tablet would be nice admittedly.

I used to use a Garmin. I downloaded an app named "Copilot" to my iPad and started playing around with it. I got to liking it enough I bought the upgrade. The upgrade was about $10 and gives 3D maps on top of the standard 2D and gives voice prompts. There are no ads and it works offline, as long as your device has a built-in GPS. (wi-fi only iPads won't work offline) I gave the Garmin away.