Thread: OneWay Talon Adapter

OneWay Talon Adapter

Does anyone out there use the OneWay Talon Chuck. What is the practical limit on the size of a bowl you would turn with this chuck?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited by Adam Slutsky; 10-14-2017 at 4:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Slutsky View Post
    Does anyone out there use the OneWay Talon Chuck. What is the practical limit on the size of a bowl you would turn with this chuck?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    The Talon is probably my favorite chuck. I have no problems turning anything that my DVR XP, (16”), will swing.

I also use a Oneway Stronghold chuck, as well as two Vicmark 150 chucks. I will usually grip my larger blanks with them because they have the larger jaw sets on them, while I usually keep my Talons setup with smaller jaws.

Clint

I use the Oneway Talon all the time. I just switched from a lathe with a 12" swing to one with an 18" swing and plan to use it on any bowl this lathe can handle. Never had any problem with 12" plus bowls. On my old lathe I could swing the headstock 90 degrees and turn up to a 30" bowl. Never did one that big but did a few 14"+ with no problem.

I have both the Oneway Talon and Stronghold. I usually have #3 jaws on the Talon and #4 jaws on the Stronghold and will use the #3 jaw Talon up to about 14" depending on the depth and our of balance. I have hollowed up to 12" on the #3 jar Talon but use a steady rest, and do use the live center in tailstock as much as possible. I do like the serrated jaws of the Oneway better than dovetail.

I use my talons for most things under 12" - they're great chucks, nice and compact. #3 jaws are the workhorse. I also use a oneway chuck - the tommy bar type - it takes the sams jaws, can be set with one hand if you've got a good spindlelock. Anything 14" and bigger goes in a stronghold. I've got a few sets of the profiled jaws for both, but really prefer the smooth dovetail jaws for most of what I do.

<p>
    Thanks Clint, Tom and Jeff!&nbsp; It sounds like it may still be ok with my 16&quot; swing lathe.&nbsp; I&#39;m considering getting larger (#3) jaws for it.</p>