Thread: Help with cabinet doors needed.

Help with cabinet doors needed.

I am building a utility room cabinet 36h x 30w x 12d. I will be mounted on the wall with the lower 12" behind the refrigeration line coming out of the furnace in this picture:

UtilityRoomWall.jpg

The problem with this is the distance from the wall to the refrigeration line is 18 1/2". With a 12" deep cabinet and 15" wide doors, the doors will not open without hitting the refrigeration line.

I thought about making the two doors with two hinged panels but I am having trouble finding the right hinge. Anyone know the name for this type of hinge? Not sure if this is the best approach or not. Even doing it this way, I would have to make the left door narrower than the right door to get the necessary clearance for the refrigeration line.

Any other ideas are appreciated as well.

Thanks

BTW - Hope all of your projects are going nicely.
    Last edited by Raymond Fries; 10-15-2017 at 11:59 AM.
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

Blog Entries
    Do you mean something like a bi-fold hinge?
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-14-2017 at 2:59 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Do you mean something like a bi-fold hinge?
    I think so. I was thinking it would work like the folding closet doors but I have been having trouble finding hinges. The wood will be 3/4" thick. I saw hinges like the one in your post, but not sure what I am looking at. In your posted link, is the hinge connected to two door panels, or, a cabinet side and a door.

I just am not familiar with a lot of hinges. The only cabinet I have built was for my drill press and it had drawers.

Enjoy Life...

The hinge in the link above is designed for a corner base cabinet bi-fold door and won't work in your application.

See if this works for you...cheap and easy to install. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-...8400/202034319
    Last edited by scott vroom; 10-14-2017 at 5:33 PM.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Raymond:

along the lines of other suggestions:

- tambour (rolls up like a "garage door") - this would likely mean a thin door, as opposed to 3/4 inch material;

- retracting (either vertical or horizontal) - you could have either one large or two smaller doors - I believe they are referred to as "concealed door slides".

By-pass doors are another possible solution.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

That copper tubing seems to stick out unnecessarily far.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Thanks for the tips and ideas. I figured out how I am going to do the folding doors. I know nothing about hinges and looking for feedback. For usage, it might only get opened a few times per week. Any opinions on these:

https://www.amazon.com/JinHe-Stainle...cabinet+hinges

Thanks
    Last edited by Raymond Fries; 10-15-2017 at 10:24 PM.

Enjoy Life...

You could move the lineset which would involve recovering the refrigerant , cutting and splicing the lines etc. You really do not want to be touching those lines as the connections may eventually leak.
    Bill D