Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drawer slides - I'm so angry I can't think straight - need advice

This thread may have gone stale, but a random thought found its way out. Could the fixed guides be out of parallel? If either the sides of the drawer box (that you checked), or the fixed guide mounts are out of parallel - - it might explain some of the binding.

(That you used a 'strain gauge' to measure the required force tells me a lot. So guessing that you've checked this, but thought I'd throw it over the fence...)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jones III View Post
    • Is it stoopid to make solid wood, dovetailed drawers? Should I just make them out of plywood and be done in a single day?
    • Is there a better option than one of the above?
    I'm making a number of drawers for our kitchen cabinets. In the past I used solid wood but this time I went to sanded plywood. My thinking is when this house is sold it will probably be torn down and a million dollar house will be built in its place so I've been looking at all the upgrades we're doing as temporary. And if we ever get a storm surge like what was predicted with Irma, those new cabinets will be under water. As for dovetails - same line of thinking.

To me kitchen cabinets don't merit the same attention to detail as fine furniture. I've seen too many videos of new homeowners coming in with a sledge hammer and having demolishing kitchen and bathroom cabinets.

Your friend lost his kitchen cabinets in a flood. It may happen again. And all that time you spent making furniture grade cabinets will be for naught. If it were me, I'd make sure whatever I built would work well and won't make me cry next time they are submerged.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain