Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used Powermatic 66....Is it worth the money?

Used Powermatic 66....Is it worth the money?

I've been a long time reader but this is my first post. I have learned a great deal on info from the group. Thanks to everyone for the wealth of information.

I have been looking at purchasing a different table saw for a few months. I started with a job site Ridgid unit and it simply is not cutting it anymore. I have come across and older Powermatic 66 unit. Based on the serial (166884) I believe it is a 1968 model. I have a vintage Powermatic 6" Jointer and love it. With the exception of the task of swapping out the knives. The saw is a unit someone purchased from a school auction and is now reselling so he knows little about it. But he said it shows little wear. Based on the pics and the information from the seller, it is missing the front cover and the fence. It is a 3 phase 3hp unit. I understand it is a 3 phase unit but I have a VFD so that is not an issue.

He is wanting $550 for the unit. Is this a good buy? Since the fence in missing I would likely put a Vega fence on the unit. With the cost of the saw at $550, a fence at about $300, and the $150 I have into the VFD, I would have about $1000 into the saw assuming nothing else is needed. Is this a good buy or would I be paying more for the saw then it would be worth? Any feedback, thoughts, or suggestions would be great.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am sure you can find/make the beismeyer fence/head part that is missing. Saw looks clean.

It is missing dust door and motor cover.

I had a similar setup in an earlier life. Amurican iron is the best. Throw in some new bearings and you have a new saw.

Still, with the injuries I've had over the years, a riving knife for me is a must.
    You can make do with the splitter, but at least think about a new Grizzly with a riving knife.

Thanks for the feedback. I have also been considering a Grizzly. The G1023RL is what I'm looking at. I was looking at the new G0833P but it seems the G1023RL is a better option.

The bones and guts of the old PM will be superior to a new saw of similar design but your call. The old PM used a decent Meehanite graded cast iron and the Beisemeyer head should be obtainable on the bay or over at owwm. A splitter can be made to handle most cuts or a sharkguard can be added to handle splitter and dust control. 450 would be closer to my number if you also need a vfd. With love that saw will outlast you. Dave

Around where I live that is a cheap price for a PM66. I would grab it up. You will be able to find a fence. I have an old Unisaw which I would not part with. But where I live the PM66 saws sell for more than an Unisaw. Going back if I could of bought a PM66 saw that cheap I would have without thinking about it.

Give it a good once over with a flash light with the top removed o make sure nothing is cracked or missing. Spare parts for these went out of production some time ago.

I have a 1973 Unisaw that does everything I ask of it and couldn't be happier.

Grizzly 1023 will come nice and shiny and make sawdust for decades also. I would ask myself which saw I like the Visual aesthetic if better and how tolerant of risk I was.

Grizzly is a nice option if you do not want risk.

They are a great saw! I had two of them at one point but then got a PM 92. Seems a tad high given its 3phs. I'd try and find a fence head.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

I believe they use a standard NEMA C-face motor so it may be easier/cheaper to switch the motor then fool with a vfd.

No doubt that is a very nice saw. I love old iron - just check out those hand wheels, character is what’s missing on a new saw.

A school saw is generally a good thing - it wasn’t used nearly as hard as it was designed for. But maintenance might have been overlooked, Might need more and arbor bearings, and belts.

Anyway, Biesemeyer fences and fence parts come up for sale on occasion so I’d keep my eyes peeled. I’ve sold a couple myself. Post a WTB on a couple forums such as here, OWWM, and woodnet. OWWM is probably your best shot for parts like dust door - I’d make a plywood motor cover and dust door if you’re doing it in the cheap.

If your patient you could find a fence for $100, and $30 for plywood, $20 for arbor bearings (assuming it needs it) and $20 for Gates’ belts and your good to go with a very nice user saw.

That all being said, I bought a 3 phase PM65 (basically the same saw, just a few years older) at Auction for about $250. Had a complete Biesemeyer fence, all doors and covers, etc. I restored it completely and sold it for my asking price of $900. $550 for what’s there seems a bit steap. I’d offer $400 and settle at $450. I’m guessing the current owner bought it at Auction to flip.

I would recommend a newer saw with a riving knife - even if it cost a bit more.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

The 66 is a good saw. But you could probably find a 66 or a Unisaw complete with fence and single phase motor for his asking price.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I am sure you can find/make the beismeyer fence/head part that is missing. Saw looks clean.

It is missing dust door and motor cover.
    I am no expert on the PM66 but it looks like the front height lock knob is missing also

My 66 is a bit older but it doesn't have a height lock - never has been a problem.

Great saw!

Depends on what part of the country you live in. I looked for months to find a complete unmolested Unisaw with everything in good shape and feel fortunate to have found mine for $500.
    Also, three phase motors are really robust, were I loking or another table saw 3 phase would be high on my list.