Thread: Hardwood lumber in northern Arkansas / southern Missouri?

Hardwood lumber in northern Arkansas / southern Missouri?

I live in North Central Arkansas. I'm trying to find an affordable source of lumber.

I was all set to go check out Les Steen in Little Rock, until I found their price list.

I'd prefer it to be rough cut. I need dry lumber in the immediate future, but I'd be interested in finding sources for green lumber as well.

I’ve said this a number of times here and I’m not sure anyone listens or tries it. Simply use Google Maps and try different search strings such as “lumber”, “lumberyard”, “hardwood”, etc.

I did!

It's flooded with results for hardware stores and saw mills. Many of the saw mills don't sell hardwood, or simply don't exist anymore.

And I definitely get the impression that there's places that sell lumber around here that aren't listed.

Oh, and it also lists the many places that sell hardwood flooring.

I'm also in the middle of nowhere, so I'm looking at a radius of ~100 miles, which is a lot to sort though.

Have you tried to ask your local woodworking store or woodworking guild?

I had to look up what a woodworking guild is. I'm still a bit unclear, but there does seem to be some sort of group nearby, although I'm not sure how I'd make a 7pm meeting 100 miles away.

Still not sure about these local woodworking stores you speak of. There's Grizzly in southern Missouri. Would it be worth contacting them do you think?

Schaller hardwood. Poplar Bluff Mo

Look on forestryforum.com There are lots of guys with bandmills in Arkansas and Missouri. Some just custom saw, others saw wood and dry it for their own use, many could be persuaded to sell some lumber. Check out craigslist, I see lumber for sale occasionally.

Guild is just a fancy word for club. Could you just email them?

By woodworking store I mean woodcraft, rockler, Local store the cabinet shops use. Speaking of cabinet shops, call local cabinet shops and see where they get lumber from.

Maybe check to see if there’s a meetup group or something around. You could get in touch with them too.

I emailed the club, hopefully I'll hear back from them.

Schaller hardwood in Poplar Bluff, MO is a bit far but possibly promising. According to their website, they also have a closer facility around Fayetteville, AR.

forestryforum.com seems to be opposed to creating accounts just to post wanted ads. I tried it anyways, but it got deleted as far as I can tell.

Schaller is in Springdale. I only buy baltic birch or exotics as retail prices are to high for me. Call before making a trip.

There is a mill in Mulberry that advertises on Fayetteville craigslist all the time. Right now they have green cherry and walnut. Both are easy woods to air dry.
    Larry