Thread: Sticky, sticky, sticky...

Sticky, sticky, sticky...

How do I keep from gluing my pen blanks to the bushings. This is getting frustrating!

Jason

Jason, Easiest way is to coat the bushings with wax. I use paste wax being careful to avoid getting wax on your blank which can cause probs with finish adhering to blank. Others use a coating of Gulfwax.

Try switching over to urethane glue (i.e. Gorilla, etc...) and gluing up the blanks a day in advance of turning. Solves the CA sticking problem and is a much better glue for pens because it won't slip either.

Watch out if you are glueing woods with an high oil content, such as cocobolo and ebony. Gorrilla glue needs the wood to be soaked in water in order to take its full effect. I have ruined quite a few blanks, by not immersing the brass tubes in water first then sticking them in. But for cocobolo I would either stick too (haha) a nice two-part epoxy or some slow slow curing CA. Though I am going to experiment with in seeing if the brass tubes would hold better in oily woods with like Titebond, or something of that nature. By the way, if anyone who has turned ebony before, want to share some good pointers as it seems like to splinter easily.

Jeremiah Jordan

Gee, I cut that board twice and it is still too short!
    My brain hurts!

Jason...I'm going to make an assumption that you are talking about the problem of finishing with CA and your blanks are getting stuck and you have to break them apart. If my assumption is correct, I suggest that you first lay down some BLO on your pieces....Slather it on, let it soak in a few minutes...then apply your CA finish by putting BLO on a rag, then 5 drops of CA, then immediately apply to the blank spinning at about 1100 RPM. This procedure will provide a zero-stick environment.

If my assumption is not correct, please tell me to shut up.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

That's exactly what I was talking about, John. I'll give the BLO a try. In regards to wax, what is the difference between paste wax and say Turtle Wax for cars?

Jason

Wax for cars have silicone in them. You don't want silicone on your work.