Thread: Moving Situation

Blog Entries

Moving Situation

One of the things in life my mind, body and soul do not like to do is moving. Nine years ago we moved from the San Francisco area of California to Southwest Washington. It came to a point where I didn't want to make another round trip and since we were not selling at the time a few things were left behind. On one of my trips down there a few things were brought up.

Our daughter and her husband have been renting from us for the last 9 years. Recently my wife's mother passed away and left her house. At this point we are not sure how the will reads or anything, doesn't matter as the kids are moving to that house. We are going to sell our former house. Besides all the other things to take care of before selling my wife would like to move the cobblestone that is in the yard. There is no cement between the stones, so removing them shouldn't be too difficult. Hopefully if it comes to that we can hire some helpers to move it.

Wow! Just consulted Dr. Google about the cost of cobblestone. Looks like it is about $7-$10 per sq/ft. That is the cost of the stone without installation. There are a few hundred square feet to pull up and load.

It seems like it might cost more to move it up here than it is worth. My wife doesn't want any cobblestone, she wants that cobblestone. Well it is from old San Francisco, but being able to prove that is a different story.

Hopefully she can be convinced it adds more value to the house and we can leave it, since it will be me doing the moving.

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My wife doesn't want any cobblestone, she wants that cobblestone.

That about sums things up...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, Every time I get into a situation like yours, I say to my Wife," The things I do, Just to show you how much I think I Love You."

I'm in the process of building a patio using a boarder of 'cobblestone' salvaged from a street in Norfolk, Va. They are not really cobblestone (rounded off rocks), but rather "setts" which are quarried and shaped granite blocks that have been rounded and polished from wear. They are quite heavy and stay in place when set in a sand bed. We used them as border stones after realizing that using them as the main field of the patio would create an uneven surface not conducive to an older person maintaining good balance. There is a section of our garden filled with my wife's 'pretty rock' collection, moved at least seven times over the past thirty years. No doubt in my mind that if we move again she will want the pretty rocks....and now the cobbles to come with us. You have my sympathy. Here are a couple of interesting reads on cobbles:

http://sfocii.org/sites/default/file...g%20Blocks.pdf

https://pilotonline.com/news/local/t...6fef39b53.html
    Last edited by Ted Calver; 10-16-2017 at 11:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It seems like it might cost more to move it up here than it is worth.
    Yes, it's very often the case. Usually, it's easier to find/build something new than make repairs to things. I'd recommend taking a closer look at the tendencies in real estate market in USA https://tranio.com/usa/analytics/wil...l-centre_5404/ and how it will affect prices and then make a well-thought decision

Maybe you could build a framed picture box to hold the best looking piece of cobblestone. That way she could have the memories without having to deal with moving all the cobblestone.
    Steve

Real World Evaluation

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Grake View Post
    Yes, it's very often the case. Usually, it's easier to find/build something new than make repairs to things. I'd recommend taking a closer look at the tendencies in real estate market in USA https://tranio.com/usa/analytics/wil...l-centre_5404/ and how it will affect prices and then make a well-thought decision
    The very best "well-thought" decision often comes down to the cost of moving the cobbles vs. the cost of the divorce. Or worse.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Jim,

Isn't that old football shoulder injury starting to act up? Get a shoulder sling, some Advil in the bulk bottle, an ice pack, and start moaning now. Moan and complain more each day, and when the time comes to move the stone, let her know she will have to move it herself. After the second or third stone, she will decide it is not worth the effort. Unless she is like my wife who will work on it until I feel guilty and do it for her. Guess she's got my number. You might be moving stone.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Good luck!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Thanks Ted, those are both interesting history.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)