Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Look what survived two Cat5 hurricanes!!!- plow plane finally arrived

Blog Entries
    That's good news indeed. Glad to see you are hanging in there. Have fun making shavings. Just a question, are their any furniture grade trees in the V.I? I don't recall from our all too brief visit to the island years ago.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    That's good news indeed. Glad to see you are hanging in there. Have fun making shavings. Just a question, are their any furniture grade trees in the V.I? I don't recall from our all too brief visit to the island years ago.
    Tons of beautiful mahogany trees down. If only I had a portable mill and space to dry lumber.

Blog Entries
    Glad to see you posting Malcolm.

I'm glad the plane got to you.

PHM

Blog Entries
    http://viconsortium.com/featured/wat...-on-st-thomas/

please share this article and video. We need people to see we still need recovery.

Back on topic: New project for the plane- my friend is quitting addiction and we are going to have a funeral for their addiction. I am going to build a coffin to bury it in. I really think that's cool. It's going to be a simple pine box in the typical coffin shape.

Blog Entries
    Malcolm, I want to add my my best wishes for a speedy recovery to all the others I can't really imagine the daily trials that you and your fellow islanders must be experiencing. Do you have any recommendations for charities, local or otherwise, that are doing good work where people can donate to help out?

I know it's a trivial question given all the other larger concerns, but I can't help but wondering about all the downed mahogany trees you mentioned. It would be compounding the existing tragedy for them to end up in a landfill. If even a couple people with chainsaw mills could get to USVI seems like could be opportunity to create some value for the local economy and utilize a valuable resource would otherwise be wasted.

I'm sure this is pie-in-the-sky, but there is a "Sawmill and Kiln Drying"" forum on the Creek – maybe someone there would have some creative ideas. Seems like it could be a "win-win" opportunity for an entrepreneurial sawyer. My apologies for not offering any viable sugge. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

BTW, building a coffin to support your friend in kicking his addiction is perhaps the most noble woodworking project I've ever heard of – good on you Malcolm!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    Malcolm, I want to add my my best wishes for a speedy recovery to all the others I can't really imagine the daily trials that you and your fellow islanders must be experiencing. Do you have any recommendations for charities, local or otherwise, that are doing good work where people can donate to help out?

I know it's a trivial question given all the other larger concerns, but I can't help but wondering about all the downed mahogany trees you mentioned. It would be compounding the existing tragedy for them to end up in a landfill. If even a couple people with chainsaw mills could get to USVI seems like could be opportunity to create some value for the local economy and utilize a valuable resource would otherwise be wasted.

I'm sure this is pie-in-the-sky, but there is a "Sawmill and Kiln Drying"" forum on the Creek – maybe someone there would have some creative ideas. Seems like it could be a "win-win" opportunity for an entrepreneurial sawyer. My apologies for not offering any viable sugge. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

BTW, building a coffin to support your friend in kicking his addiction is perhaps the most noble woodworking project I've ever heard of – good on you Malcolm!

Good day, Mike. Thanks for asking about charities. www.mybrothersworkshop.org is a non-profit that teaches woodworking and culinary skills to at-risk youth. After Irma and Maria (we are calling it "Irmaria") they have turned their cafe into a feeding station feeding up to 900 people per day. Also their woodworking crew are rebuilding roofs. I volunteer there teaching woodworking (unpaid) and I can assure you they are golden.

As for the mahogany- believe me, it does get used. Sadly much of it is cut into shorts rather than slabs. People use them for wood turning and carving. I know where there is a mango tree cut to shorts that I am going to get a few pieces of.

Malcolm,

Very happy to see that you have a bit of sunshine to balance all the trials and tribulations. You have certainly earned the unplugged merit badge! Very best as you continue the clean up. And I agree with Mike that the addiction coffin is a most noble project.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

I see a box, but no plane. When do we see glamour shots of your new prize?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    IMG_2286.jpg

Mahogany just waiting to be grabbed up. I'm looking for Lignum Vitae.