Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Look what survived two Cat5 hurricanes!!!- plow plane finally arrived

Blog Entries

Look what survived two Cat5 hurricanes!!!- plow plane finally arrived

If you didn't see my post in off topic- it explains all the back story. I thought after my post office was destroyed that my plow plane, due to have arrived any day, would surely be destroyed. Lo and behold it was scanned in shortly after. Sadly, it still was MIA. Then it showed available for pickup on Oct 8th. Still not there. Finally today I convinced them to go look for it. It's here!!!! Folks, after what I have been through, this is a glorious day. This is my ray of sunshine amidst the storm.

By the way, six weeks without power. May be Christmas before I get it restored. I have earned an unplugged merit badge.

Yes, that is...or was... my post office.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Among all the bad news, it's nice to see you have a reason to smile! Congratulations! May it serve you well.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Malcolm, I'm happy for you and your ray of sunshine. I'm also praying for all of you there that things get up and running and back to better conditions soon. Keep us posted so we know just what it takes to recover. Thank you for your posts.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Glad to hear the mail got through. It is still a long haul to getting back to what will likely be a new normal.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    More important than the mail, I'm very glad that you are ok!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Glad to hear from you again, Malcom!

Blog Entries
    Wow- thanks guys. I appreciate the well wishes. I know we have slipped to the bottom of the news at best, but we have a long way to go. I will be happy if I get power in a month, but expect it will be longer.

Anyway, on topic- this thing is a real beauty. My wife even said it was kind of sexy. She is excited that project 1 will be a bookshelf with fluted or reeded columns. (Undecided as to which). Sadly, Home Depot was badly damaged but the local lumber yard has a good bit of cypress that I could work with. I would have to cut off the tongue and groove. There is no clear pine at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    ... the local lumber yard has a good bit of cypress that I could work with.
    That sounds like quite a windfall.

Sorry, I know it's too soon, but I couldn't resist.

Not trying to hijack the tread, but Malcolm. One of my colleagues just sold a whole wood trim productionline machines to Mauritius (second hand). Perhabs you know who it is ?
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

Happy for small miracles.

Hi Malcolm!

Glad to see you're back, and OK!

Cheers -

Rob

It's definitely a "up" after all you have gone through. It looks like the package survived virtually unharmed and without being crushed or waterlogged. Congratulations and I hope you have overestimated the time to get power back.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasse Hilbrandt View Post
    Not trying to hijack the tread, but Malcolm. One of my colleagues just sold a whole wood trim productionline machines to Mauritius (second hand). Perhabs you know who it is ?
    Wrong island, my friend! I am in the Virgin Islands in the Caribbean. Muaritius is off Madagascar, but ironically my friend and well-known sailing author from St. John, Cap'n Fatty Goodlander was just there a few months ago as he finished his third circumnavigation.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    That sounds like quite a windfall.

Sorry, I know it's too soon, but I couldn't resist.
    Too soon! I have caught myself many times saying "weather the storm" in figurative terms. It means a lot more to me now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    It's definitely a "up" after all you have gone through. It looks like the package survived virtually unharmed and without being crushed or waterlogged. Congratulations and I hope you have overestimated the time to get power back.
    I regret that it's probably underestimated. As for the package, I suspect that it had not yet been unloaded from the container when the storm hit. The rest of my mail was handed to me bundled in a sopping wet mess with apologies for the condition.

Blog Entries
    As for the package, I suspect that it had not yet been unloaded from the container when the storm hit. The rest of my mail was handed to me bundled in a sopping wet mess with apologies for the condition.
    Even in the worst of times good things happen.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Wrong island, my friend! I am in the Virgin Islands in the Caribbean. Muaritius is off Madagascar, but ironically my friend and well-known sailing author from St. John, Cap'n Fatty Goodlander was just there a few months ago as he finished his third circumnavigation.
    OOPS!!! sorry about that, I know I sold a plane iron to a guy from Mauritius, and somehow in my mind I thought it was you, sorry to mix you up.
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt