Thread: Looking for recommendation for 16 gauge finish nailer

Looking for recommendation for 16 gauge finish nailer

I find myself doing more and more interior trim and think it's time to add a 16 gauge finish nailer to the toolbox. I already have a Porter Cable 18 gauge brad nailer but need something slightly larger for interior trim where I'm nailing through the trim and drywall and trying to get good contact with a stud.

Are there any brands you recommend? I'd prefer to stay with air powered versus battery or gas.

It seems like the prices vary from $40 - $200.

I'd love to hear your recommendations.

Thanks,
    Wes

I'm not a pro, but my Paslode T250A has done everything I've asked of it with flying colors. The angled magazine is nice for tight spots. Bit on the pricier side.

I'm from no means a pro, but use them a lot and I know I will catch it for this but have a HF that I have never had a min trouble with. it's the newer Red and white ones, and I do have a old HF blue one that shoots staples that over 10 years Old and still drives 2" staples as good as the day I got it, I have a Milwaukee M18 cordless that is awesome for when Im doing trim work on a job somewhere or not in shop. not having to carry a portable AIr compressor is awesome, Before the Milwaukee I had the Paslode gas and while it is a very great nailer I was happy to get away from Gas also,

I completely skipped the 16 gage nailer and have a 15 gage angle finish nailer for heavier work. My original one was an Accuset by Senco, but something broke and parts are hard to find. So I replaced it with a Dewalt.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have both a Bosch an a Bostich 15 gauge that replaced a Porter Cable. Of the three, the Bosch is lighter and has a better design for the nose. The PC unit died after only 3 years of hobby use (bent piston shaft).

When I was in business, I had Senco and Bostitch nailers, and they broke down regularly. Bought a Hitachi framing nailer, and it lasted for years with no problems. So now I have been buying Hitachi nailers, including a 16 gauge that still works after about 15 years. Picked up the 15 gauge nailer on sale at Menards, uses the same nails as the old Senco. Now I need to purchase a 1/4" stapler as both my old Senco and Bostitch have given up. Watching for Menards to put the stapler on sale.

Blog Entries
    Bostitch 15 gauge just got a workout this weekend face nailing 3/4” repurposed oak flooring in a buddy’s cabin.

I am with Jim. I am still in business and have either Hitachi or Paslode air tools mostly. my 16 gauge is a Paslode. I also have 2-3 porter cable 18 gauge finish nailers that refuse to die,literally. One I bought new on a finishing job ,60 units,crown, base, casing. We literally used cases of nails and at the end of the job figured that at least 200,000 pins had gone thru it. That was 17 years ago and it is still going. Not sure if the newer ones are still decent but these were definitely good bang for the buck,it is made in Taiwan. Good luck,Mike.

Do some research on Omer brand nailers.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I have older PC 18 and 16ga nailers. I also have a Bostitch stapler an a refurb 15ga Hitachi. I hven't had a roblem with any of them. I think I would look into a refurb Hitachi or go supercheap with HF if I needed a new one.

Here's the proof in the pudding. I had three finish nailers - a Sears (yea - before I knew better) and a Senco (actually 15 GA) and a Bostich. I needed to nail Hardie Plank 3/4 inch trim pieces on a solar kiln I was building. So it has to go through 3/4 of Hardie, 1/2 inch of hardie siding and into the 2x framing and hold. None of them would go through the 3/4 HP trim at all. Borrowed my friends Hitachi 16 GA (2 1/2 inch nails maximum - not sure of the model). That one worked perfect - never missed going through and countersinking perfectly. My friend installs Hardie for a living so I now understand his choice. Needless to say I now only own the Hitachi (which by the way my friend gave me).

I've had PC 16 gauge for 14 years and a PC framing nailer for 12. The only problem I've had was with the urethane piston stops that disintegrated recently on both. I repaired both - the parts cost about $35 shipped (per nailer). When each of the nailers failed I bought a Harbor Freight to get by with while waiting for parts - these produce a few misfires (as in no nail is driven), but are generally very decent, especially at 1/3 the price. i can't speak to their longevity.