Thread: Stanley #80 Paint Job

Stanley #80 Paint Job

Anyone have an opinion on what kind of paint to use on a recent eBay purchase of a Stanley #80 cabinet scraper? I've got it restored and working well, but the previous owner stripped all the paint off of it. I'd like to get it back to a "factory original" glossy black but keep in mind this will be a working tool so something that holds up to work would be nice.

I'm tempted to use some of that high heat BBQ grill paint that comes in a rattle can. Happy to differ to someone that has some experience painting old hand tools though!

Rustoleum Semi-gloss Engine Enamel works just fine.....you might want to add a spray primer under it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Rustoleum Semi-gloss Engine Enamel works just fine.....you might want to add a spray primer under it.
    This and other types of Engine Enamel have worked for me.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I doubt you need high heat paint, unless you work really really fast.

It makes no difference, of course, to its use.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Rustoleum Semi-gloss Engine Enamel works just fine...
    Engine enamel... why didn't I think of that!? Thanks Steven.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    I doubt you need high heat paint, unless you work really really fast.

It makes no difference, of course, to its use.
    Woah, I am slipping, Howdy Tyler and welcome to the Creek.

The "high heat engine enamel" is a bit tougher than other enamels. Its use on a plane has nothing to do with its heat properties other than it tends to stick to cast iron better than many other paints since it is made to stick to engine blocks which are commonly, or at least used to be, made of cast iron.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I like Rustoleum's self etching primer for most of my machine painting. Prep the surface with acetone and you will be in business.
    There's never enough time to do it right, but there's always enough time to do it over.

My Son is into restoring vintage/antique desk fans and he gave me one to work on.

By far, the best I have been able to do to obtain a hard, durable, gloss black finish is VHT Epoxy Black paint. I have found the local Autozone carries it for the best price, but you can get it on Amazon, etc.
    I use it with no primer (and supposedly needs none) There are no instructions for baking, but I have found baking parts at ~210 deg. F for about 20 minutes has given me a very tough finish that isn't brittle.

I have tried high temp engine enamel, but it just doesn't compare to the above epoxy.

Best of luck,
    Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff Wittrock; 10-16-2017 at 7:54 PM.

front view.JPG
    Rustoleum Black.....just don't spray this next part..
    sole.JPG
    Nor the bolts. There is a metal bar that holds the cutter, leave it bare..
    SW Logo.JPG
    Ootherwise, you'll cover this up...