Thread: Opinions on drum sander sizing

Opinions on drum sander sizing

I need a drum sander and have settled on one of the Supemax brand but not sure on the right size. I know Woodmaster is great but I can't have one that big in my basement shop.

I'm wondering about people's experience with regard to size and configuration. I'm torn between the 25/50 single drum or the 25x2 dual drum. (Possibly thinking of the 37x2 but it's an outlier.) I'm wondering how much I'll actually use the 26"-50" capacity. The only thing I can of would be table tops and I don't make many tables. The primary use of the sander will be for smoothing resawed veneers and potentially sanding parts prior to assembly. I'm wondering people's thoughts and opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Hi Michael,
    I have the performax sandpro 25' single drum --closed end version. Have never needed the open end for wider panels. Previous DS was the Jet 16/32 and didn't have much success sanding panels wider than 16". I like the sandpro, albeit limited power, but get good surface finishes.

I've had the 25x2 and 37x2. The 25x2 is pretty hard to beat until going wide belt. 80-120 grit makes sanding a little less slow. The sand paper conveyor is hard enough to give good results with shop sawn veneer. I actually prefer it for sanding 1/16-1/8" veneer to my WB. Dave

Michael

I have a 26" dual drum sander, and it's done everything I've needed it to do.
    Dust collection will need to be a high priority for you. They make a lot of dust.
    I personally feel better with a closed end sander, than open end. I think it would be less prone to deflection.
    I've only rarely put anything through mine close to its capacity, but it is nice to stagger boards as they go through and process a lot of boards simultaneously, than one at a time.

I have the 25/50. I almost went with the 25x2 and considered the closed end single drum. I have a 16" planer so I only use the sander for table tops too wide for the planer, veneers and things too thin for the planer and the occasional cutting board. It will deflect if you take too big of a bite. I think taking too much with any drum sander will give poor results tho. I ran a hard maple 40x72 top thru it and it came out great.

I have one of the open end Performax 22/44 units and it works great within it's limits. It is a single roll machine and two grits (independently activated) would be great. The large base could have been engineered to be much more compact.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I went from the Grizzly 18/36 to the Supermax 25/50. I doubt I will use anything close to 50". The boards get to heavy and awkward. I have done boards slightly over 25". I hvae 15" planer so I got it to do stuff to small for the planer and stuff too large for the planer.

I have the 16/32, if I had to do it all over again, I would opt for a dual drum.

Thanks all for the feedback. It's extremely helpful. I have great dust collection with my ClearVue and I also have a 16" planer. My immediate need is for veneers from the bandsaw but will look at it for several uses that were mentioned here.

On dual drums, what's your preferred grit combinations? I have no idea if I should do 80/120 or 100/150 or something else. What do you folks who have them do?

I have the 25 x 2. I usually use 80/100 or 80/120.