Thread: Blanket Chest in Maple, with a tray

Blanket Chest in Maple, with a tray

Front view..
    main view, lid closed.jpg
    Frame & Panel sides, panels were "raised" using a hand plane ( or two)
    IMG_2262 (640x480).jpg
    Open the lid, engage the lid's brace. And, take a look inside....
    inside, lid opened.jpg
    Chain is to keep the lid from opening too far back...Tray has dovetailed corners, and a beaded top edge. Will slide nicely on the maple rails. 1/4" plywood bottom is screwed to cleats under it.
    lid details.jpg
    Top started out as a Oak panel I had brought home from a trip. There is a slight hint of white sap wood along the back edge. Bread board ends are attached using a sliding dovetail joint.
    front corner view.jpg
    All six raised panels are glue ups. There is a mix of Spalted Maple, Birdseye Maple, and Curly Maple. Feet from the side panels were chisele to match the curve of the front of the feet. Rails between the feet were rounded over, with a spokeshave.
    Nice, simple, little project.

Looks great! First thing I notice is the profile of the legs / feet. Really unique idea and the profile lightens what would really be a bulky appearing piece. did you cut the profiles prior to gluing up the front and sides? Also, what attachment did you use for the "butt" joints on the corners?

Foot profiles are cut before the sides are glued up, gives me a "stop" to go to.

"Butt" joints at the corners at a Tongue & Groove affair....only. Mainly for alignment during the glue up of the case. 1/4" x 1/4" tongue fits into a stopped groove, no need for mechanical fasteners..

Smile

Aha... noted butt in quotations because I assumed there was more to it. Also assuming that the tongue is on the skinny stile of the side panel and received by a groove on the wide stile of the front? Nice job; I like the joinery. ...and for what it is worth, glad the answer was not biscuits.