Thread: Shaper Pattern Cutter Heads

Shaper Pattern Cutter Heads

Hello all,

I'm considering a shaper head for pattern cutting. I know somewhere I have saved some info on what I believed was the one I wanted to purchase but I can not find that file on my computer. I'm looking for suggestions from users of what they own and like. Most likely 3" inches tall, I imagine replaceable cutters. I'm not sure that is why I'm posting to ask for your help in making a decision.

Thank you for reading and posting your thoughts.

Ben
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-17-2017 at 9:42 AM.
    sometimes it's people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines. Alan Turing

Depending on how you work I would either be looking for a shelix style cutter block for the shaper with a bearing below/above or a simple corrugated head with a bearing below/above. If your work is such that you have to have a flush pattern match (your pattern is the exact size of the part you need, something akin to a flush trim router bit) I would be looking at the shelix style head where your cut diameter is going to be nearly identical all the time.

If you dont need that, you could use a corrugated head with a bearing below however with sharpenings and how you setup the corrugated head you would have varied cutting diameters and a fixed bearing diameter.

We run a bearing below our corrugated head quite often for template routing but we have to adjust the template based on the cutting diameter of the head at that point in time if that makes sense.

Agree with Mark. I had a set of three bearings made to use with corg heads. One of them will always be no more than 1/64 off. And corg heads are pretty cheap

Blog Entries
    Amana Tool 61292

Byrd makes Shelix heads with matched bearings in a variety of diameter and heights. Shown is a 4" X 2".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

+1 on the Amana 61292. The rub collar is 61596, and they have reduction T-bushings if your spindle is 3/4". It is aluminum and has replaceable 4 sided knives and is relatively inexpensive. Some guys don't like aluminum cutters but I have gotten excellent results with it.

Fellows,

I appreciate the replies, that is what I was looking for were some suggestions on types and manufactures. I will look into your suggestions and see what my needs really are. I remember I once looked into a company named Moore I think. They sold a lot of corrugated heads style cutters. Byrd I remember also, I've wanted one for ages but have made due without. I think it's time to quit procrastinating and make a decision and buy

thank you all

Ben
    sometimes it's people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines. Alan Turing

Ben

I've been looking at the cutter head that Marty referred to the past few weeks. I think it is also 1" less diameter than a Bryd, or Grizzly head of the same type.
    I gotta quit procrastinating also.

Marty
    Did you get the shallow T-Bushing for it, or the deeper model(s)?
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Mike, I have the 1 1/4" spindle so no bushings.

The Amana 61292 Spiral Cutter Head is low weigth and 80mm heigth!!!

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    I've been using Lietz and Stark insert heads with matching bearings for many years; diameter never changes with the knife change. And like Mel, I have a couple different rub bearings for my corrugated heads . I think if I were to get a starter set, I'd go with a corrugated head, straight knives and a few different bearings. This is very versatile as you can also use moulding knives with a bearing for pattern work, someting you can't do with a straight knife insert or shelix type head. (Just don't take too much of a cut ;-) )
    And, I'd stay away from aluminum heads if your're planning to use them a a lot or for many years.
    Tool steel also has more mass which will give you a better overall cut IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wooden View Post
    I've been using Lietz and Stark insert heads with matching bearings for many years; diameter never changes with the knife change. And like Mel, I have a couple different rub bearings for my corrugated heads . I think if I were to get a starter set, I'd go with a corrugated head, straight knives and a few different bearings. This is very versatile as you can also use moulding knives with a bearing for pattern work, someting you can't do with a straight knife insert or shelix type head. (Just don't take too much of a cut ;-) )
    And, I'd stay away from aluminum heads if your're planning to use them a a lot or for many years.
    Tool steel also has more mass which will give you a better overall cut IMO
    Note ... insert cutters by Stark, Leitz and Byrd (as well as possibly Amana) are all (I believe) sold by Oella. Might be worth a call to Dave to assess the value prop of the competing brands. I discovered about a year ago that Oella sells a Centrotec (Leitz replacement) planer/moulder cutter (used on a 410mm Wigo Head) and the price is significantly more competitive than Leitz direct. I have no "skin in the game" with this suggestion.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Fellows,
    thank you all. All of the advice will be used to find what hopefully the perfect up for me. We all work a bit differently so that is where I’ll have to figure out what head is best for my use. I like the shearing angle of the Byrd type Shellix style but I also like the versatility of the corrugated type cutters. I’ll have to spend a few evenings reading a few more websites on the products these companies offer.

Thanks again fellows
    Ben