Thread: Tempest dust collection question

Tempest dust collection question

Hello all, I purchased a used Tempest III dust collection with a Long Ranger remote and numerous fitting and clear tubing for 275.00. Pulled the manual up last night and am confused about how the turbine with motor attached actually connects to the cyclone unit. Without what I think would someone tell me how it is mechanically connects. I appreciate any help I can get

Steven,

When you say Tempest II are your talking about a 3HP Tempest? like the 143? I have only seen that go together so my understanding is based on that unit. The blower assembly should have holes on the bottom of the unit. Turn the blower so the motor is on the floor and the holes are pointing up (big hole in the center for intake). Now align the big body cylinder to match where you want the inlet and align the holes to the blower holes. I think there is caulk or a gasket in between the two and screw the bolts through the bottom of the body cylinder into the blower housing. Is that what you are talking about?

BTW That is a great cyclone and sounds like you got a great price!
    Hope this helps. Let Us know what you do.

Carl

3. Quote Originally Posted by Carl Kona View Post
    Steven,

When you say Tempest II are your talking about a 3HP Tempest? like the 143? I have only seen that go together so my understanding is based on that unit. The blower assembly should have holes on the bottom of the unit. Turn the blower so the motor is on the floor and the holes are pointing up (big hole in the center for intake). Now align the big body cylinder to match where you want the inlet and align the holes to the blower holes. I think there is caulk or a gasket in between the two and screw the bolts through the bottom of the body cylinder into the blower housing. Is that what you are talking about?

BTW That is a great cyclone and sounds like you got a great price!
    What Carl said--- in your hardware package you should find a pack of 8 M6x12 screw head bolts and a pack of plastic plugs. Once you have your intake and outlet turned how you want, use the plastic plugs with a dab of silicone in the holes that don't line up with the holes in the blower, install these from the top down, then install the bolts (I used a little blue locktite on mine, that's a heavy sucker and you don't want to have to take in down to replace screws that vibrate out). Good luck.
    W

Tempest Dust.jpg
    This is a picture of what I am working with. As there is no mounting holes I am puzzled. The motor says is a 3hp pulling 18 amps with 220 volt.Thought maybe there would be a piece of ducting that would fit in between the two but see no evidence. Have a call to the person I bought it from so maybe he can shed some light. If the picture provides a clue to someone again I would appreciate any help. I agree it is one heavy piece of equipment and I don't want to have to install it but once.
    Thanks again

I think it just sits there on top of the cone. To seal it I remember I made a big circular gasket. I used a cheap Yoga mat and cut out a big washer with the correct size inner and out circle. Make sure it is the cheap kind that are closed cell so they do not allow air to pass through. Also no fabric covering allowed.
    Mine is a little different because it is the Oneida cyclone but the blower is a Murphy Rogers unit.
    Bill D.

Curiosity got me and I found the manual for that unit. Amazingly it is a friction fit! It appears to depend on the distance of the body mounting bracket and the Motor mounting bracket. I would be tempted to caulk it but you would never get it apart.

Let us know if that is what the previous owner did.

Edit: Looks like bill beat me to it. I could not tell if there was too large of a gap for some type of gasket. If it is that tight, that is a great idea.
    Last edited by Carl Kona; 10-17-2017 at 8:38 PM.

Carl

I think I caulked the outside of the joint because I knew if the caulked the inside I would never be able to get it apart. So I made a bead of caulk like 14" in diameter.

I think the theory is bolt the motor/fan solid to the wall and the cone will be sucked upward nice and tight. I remember I had to add rubber to the bands holding he cyclone up. I used old auto serpentine belts,.
    In retrospect I should have removed a few of the bolts that tie the cone and drum together and used long lengths of allthread to pull the cone up to the ceiling. I used a hoist to get the motor/fan up to the wall and a jack to jam the cone/drum up and tight.
    The drum straps are basically the same as water heater straps just a little thicker metal.

Talked to the guy I bought the collector from and he said it had been eight years since he took it apart. But he thinks that what has been suggested here is the way it works. I appreciate all the help and suggestions, now the fun begins getting it installed. Wish I had built my dust collector room about a couple feet taller.

Don't have the dust collector hanging yet but have made the wiring connections, which means I installed the plug and receptacle that had been removed and tried out the remote. Think it was wired direct before. I prefer to have a way to disconnect. Installing a breaker box that will handle air compressor, Powermatic lathe and the dust collector. totally impressed with the amount of air that is moved. My question is do the filters need to stay in a single stack or can a Y be installed to split the filters to reduce the overall height. There is a what I was told is a muffler that I would install above the Y. Appreciate any suggestions

Steven,

Great to hear you are making progress. No they do not need to be stacked. eventually I will make this setup which allows you to reverse flow each filter individually to clean.

But currently I am making something temporary and quick out of scraps that will be somewhat similar to this

Like to see what you do.

Carl

Thank you for the picture. Believe I will follow suit especially for the base. Good thinking for a clean out. I decided to take the clean out lid off the stand of the stack and found the stack was filled to the top with sawdust, so a major cleaning of the filters, good deal sometimes lead into lot of work not necessary with new.