Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just bought a Rockwell 12/14.. HELP !!

Just bought a Rockwell 12/14.. HELP !!

During morning Coffee I found and bought this.

Been a fantasy to get one for years.

A BIG purchase for me, home shop.

Shipping will add about $350, 550 miles.

Asking for moral support, or hand slap, whatever is appropriate !

Feet getting cold here now.

Marc

Delta Rockwell Table Saw 12-14" Tilting Arbor 60's era
    Has bess fence and blade guard.
    It is SINGLE phase 5hp
    Runs great

Brett Guard, 52" Bies, no miter gauge, new belts, no access door.

'http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELTA-ROCKWELL-12-14-Tilting-Arbor-Saw-Table-Saw-5hp-SINGLE-PHASE-220V-/122753721634?hash=item1c94b12522:g:yAYAAOSw6kVZ4SO u
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 10-18-2017 at 8:08 AM. Reason: direct links to ebay are not allowed

What do you need help with? Looks like you've got it figured out! Nice saw!!

I have a very similar Rockwell 12. It has a sliding table attachment and scoring blade but otherwise very similar. Basically a Unisaw on Steroids. The machine is just a heavier version with a larger table and base. It will seem large until you get used to it but only about 600 lbs so really not a big deal. Four belt drive and 1" arbor. Miter gauge slot is larger but if you watch used guages come up fairly regularly. I put a MJ splitter on a home made throat plate and removed the stock splitter. Great saw although mine mostly sits as I prefer the old iron 2000 lb saws. Lots of info on owwm.org. Dave

For me, it's a BIG purchase.. just nervous here. Marc

I hear you. the rockwell was my first machine 25 years ago and I thought it was huge. Everything is relative . Soon you will be comfortable. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Jeske View Post
    During morning Coffee I found and bought this.

Been a fantasy to get one for years.

A BIG purchase for me, home shop.

Shipping will add about $350, 550 miles.

Asking for moral support, or hand slap, whatever is appropriate !

Feet getting cold here now.

Marc

Delta Rockwell Table Saw 12-14" Tilting Arbor 60's era
    Has bess fence and blade guard.
    It is SINGLE phase 5hp
    Runs great

Brett Guard, 52" Bies, no miter gauge, new belts, no access door.

'http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELTA-ROCKWELL-12-14-Tilting-Arbor-Saw-Table-Saw-5hp-SINGLE-PHASE-220V-/122753721634?hash=item1c94b12522:g:yAYAAOSw6kVZ4SO u
    Not a bad deal at all. It would be a better deal if you just commandeered a pickup truck and drove down to the beach to get it. After gas and spending the night you might save $100-200, but you would have piece of mind a 19 year old lift truck driver doesn't destroy the saw at the loading dock...advertise for a dust door at OWWM.com
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 10-18-2017 at 8:09 AM. Reason: remoed direct link

Make a door out of plywood and use magnets to hold it in place. I believe they are easy to make a zero clearance insert. 12" blade goes below table top. 14" sticks above table at all times. Older ones the arbor can be switched. I saw that one and wished it was closer to me. Good price for a unisaw much less that monster. Not sure if stock arbor can use a dado set or not. Cheaper to buy a smaller dado set and have factory enlarge hole to 1" then buy a full size dado set. How deep a dado will you ever need anyway?
    Bill D.

http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/1214NewArbor.ashx

I always knew those 12/14 saws were much bigger than a Uni and saw pics comparing the top and wings of both saws, but didn’t realize how much until I saw one in person!

I have a small shop so physically it’d be pushing it. Also I’d have a lot of expense in retooling from 5/8” bore 10” blades to 1” arbor.

That probably didn’t help your cold feet did it?

Well, I'm going through w it.

My concern is shop space.

Well, that and the fact that I don't NEED it over my PM 10" just always wanted the coolness factor !!

It will get here, we'll look at it and ruminate a while.. then either clean and set it up on a mobile base...
    ... or worst case Craigslist Houston.

I think I can pretty quickly get my $850 back cause it's 1 Phase, 5 HP ? ? Marc

If you put a shorter fence rail on it, the space difference is minimal. Unless you do a lot of panel work ( and this saw isn't really for that purpose ), a 52" fence isn't important enough to give up the space. The standard arbor will handle up to 3/4" dado blades if you leave off the outboard flange which isn't needed anyway. Dave

Good info above... If a 3/4 dado works w/o buying extension, that is great... 3/4 should be max I would need.

I'll keep the 52" rails.. darn fence has the right tilt arc of shame, will read up on refacing.

Probably HDPE.. not setup for plastic laminate.

Will have to get used to the longer blade wind down time, only about 6 sec on my current saw. Marc

I use one of those saws at work. It is a 3 phase 5 hp and has a full 4 X 8' sheet for an out feed table attached. It was a bit intimidating when I first started using it, but I quickly got over that. If you have the room in your shop for it you should be very happy with the saw.

Charley

Old Thread but I finally got mine up and running. Mine came with a 1+1/8 arbor insert so I made a one inch inserted arbor. I really should make a 5/8 inserted arbor as well. I understand that on newer saws the arbor is not removable. Grizzly sold out of their arbors years ago. I unbolted the plinth and made a heavy duty mobile base to raise it back up to a comfortable height.
    Bil lD

And mine is still on a pallet, have not gotten into it yet.

Marc
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Jeske View Post
    And mine is still on a pallet, have not gotten into it yet.

Marc

The extension wings are 60 pounds each. The top is probably around 200 pounds by itself. The blade insert is 6.8 pounds. Two good sized guys were able to get the top off safely. I had to make a ramp of 2x4's and screw blocks onto it to slowly slide the top back up. I moved the switch box out 4 inches by mounting a 4x6 under it so I could turn it off with my leg.
    The riving knife retrofit looks interesting
    Bill D.

http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/1214ArborBearings.ashx

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....retrofit/page2