Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any recommendations for a cnc?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Any recommendations for a cnc?

Hey all looking at getting a small format 24x36 (48) cnc router. I have looked at the Axiom AR8 Pro+, Laguna IQ, ShopBot Buddy, and Camaster Stinger 1 SR24. Main requirements are a spindle as opposed to a PC (mainly for the noise). Looking for a unit on a steel frame with castors as it will go in my garage. Mainly woodworking projects, small cabinets etc. I was looking at a laser cutter but that really has its limitations for some of the stuff I want to do.Budget is in the $10k-$12k range.
    Mike
    ----------------
    Experience: Something you get just after you needed it.

You may want to add Shop Saber to your list- another American built option.

I will say that both ShopBot and Camaster have active user forums, which is a great resource for experience specific to those brands as well as more general cnc advice.

I'd also look at the Fineline Automation Saturn 2 series. A buddy of mine is about to pull the trigger on a 4 x 4 with 3Hp air cooled spindle and NEMA 34 motors, VCarve Pro and Mach 3 for under $10K - delivered.

With your budget I would look hard at the Camaster Stinger 1 with a 1.7kw spindle upgrade. It is as turnkey as they come. The WinCNC control software/hardware is industrial grade, as is the machine. The price also includes the PC and monitor.
    I love mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    With your budget I would look hard at the Camaster Stinger 1 with a 1.7kw spindle upgrade. It is as turnkey as they come. The WinCNC control software/hardware is industrial grade, as is the machine. The price also includes the PC and monitor.
    I love mine.
    Hi Bruce, that's a nice looking machine! Why does the gantry beam on the stinger 1 extend so far off the one side of the table? Any reason why one couldn't have that machine against a wall? I have a 16' workbench I could modify and put the cnc in the center of allowing space for longer materials etc. Than would allow me to not worry about a mobile base... More money for DC and upgrades
    Mike
    ----------------

Mike, the extended gantry allows for the Recoil/lathe option that sits on the right side of the machine. I opted not to purchase the lathe and regret it. You can now order the Stinger's electronics “recoil ready” and add the lathe mechanicals at a later date if you wish.

Access to the “Y” axis bearings is required for routine lubrication. It would be difficult to impossible to do with the machine against a wall.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

@bruce - I guess my main question at this point would be if I can design a table that can 'slide' out from the wall for maintenance purposes, is there anything that would impede the normal operation of the machine if it were against a wall ( well within an inch or two). I did see the lathe option and that is tempting. I may order the electrics for it to add later.
    Mike
    ----------------

No, as long as you can get to the bearings, there's nothing stopping you from having it against a wall.

Andy Rooney

Do you have the 1.7KW Air cooled spindle on your stinger Bruce? If so how do you compare the audible noise to a router. Say a router being a 10 as the loudest... Got my quotes back from CAMaster today its a pricey upgrade but probably worth while. Any issues with that spindle and the NEMA 23 steppers? I'd post on the CamHead forum but I am still waiting for an admin to approve my account. My gut tells me that even with this spindle and the NEMA 23's, the stinger 1 will out perform the Axiom and Laguna cnc's of the same class.

Right now looking at the Stinger 1 RS-24, 1.7 KW spindle, performance plus upgrade, t-slot table and clamps, bits, maint kit shipped for just shy of 12k.
    Mike
    ----------------

Yes, I upgraded to the 1.7kw. With a router being 10 I would class the spindle at a 2. The cooling fan makes more noise. Keep in mind that in many roughing & profiling operations the cutter is screaming just as loud with a spindle, (watch some YouTube videos). The spindle shines when doing a 6 hour long 3D finish cut. I live in suburbia, I could not run a router for 6 hours and keep the peace with my neighbors.

Edit: To answer your other question, I haven't had any problems with the NEMA 23 steppers.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 10-19-2017 at 8:59 PM.

Andy Rooney

Follow Up:

So I looked at a few of the other machine recommendations listed above.

The Saturn CNC from FLA looked fine but being that the spindle was not included or available from them directly was kind of a turn off for me.

Shopbot was out of the game at the base price tag before the optional upgrades.

Shop Sabre 23 shows some promise as being the most apple to apple with CAMaster.

I am trying to decide between the Shop Sabre 23 and the CAMaster Stinger 1. I am not sure what steppers the Sabre has, they do have a bit wider (5") cut capacity which is nice albeit a shorter 40" length. The carriage beam on the sabre is 4mm steel the CAMaster is Aluminum though on a machine of this size does the extra rigidity really factor in?? 100% precision ball screws on the saber vs rack and pinion on the CAMaster, again maybe a non issue on a 2x4 machine?

Pricing in the end is in the same ball park however I will note a few things that are currently making me lean towards CAMaster.
    1. Free Shipping at Sabre "$795" but then add a Crating and material charge of "$395"??? CAMaster is $495 to my door straight forward charge for Shipping & Crating
    2. Z touch is included with the stinger ($395 for it on the Sabre way overpriced in my opinion)
    3. Lack of additional info for the Sabre. The only YouTube videos I have really found were there marketing vids.
    4. Lead time for the Stinger is 2-1/2 weeks and 10 weeks for the Saber
    5. Pre wire for the 4th axis ($450) on the sabre

Anyways that's where I am at. Hope to make a decision over the weekend and order on Monday.
    Mike
    ----------------

Ss tech support is for the original buyer and not transferable...... just another food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by eugene thomas View Post
    Ss tech support is for the original buyer and not transferable...... just another food for thought.
    To my knowledge both CAMaster and ShopBot will support their machines for the life of the machine whether you are the original owner or not.

Have you picked up the phone and talked to someone like Bruce, Keith, Gary or someone else that has a good knowledge base of this machine size? These are all decent guys that I bet will take the time to talk to you. Camheads has a map of users on their site as well. You should go look at one if there is one nearby.

Have you sat down and made a list of what is really important for your projects? It is easy to get bogged down in tech specs. I did, and I forgot to ask some important questions. The needs for 3D work, simple box building, or parts requiring secondary cuts are all different in some respects.

I would not worry too much about moving it yet. That is not all that hard, and mine weighed 2,000lb.
    Last edited by Brad Shipton; 10-26-2017 at 2:23 AM.

Brad makes a good point about visiting owners of the machines you are considering. Most people, especially those who frequent these forums, are quite willing to help with advice. The Vectric forum (http://forum.vectric.com) has a member map and most member profiles show their equipment. I believe Shopbot, Camaster and Shop Saber all ship their machines with some Vectric software so there ought to be a fair sample of those owners represented.