Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any recommendations for a cnc?

Mark...
    You make a couple very good points. First on the commercial vs. non commercial. Maybe the world has come to find that posting your latest creation isn't the best thing in the world for future business. The social media crowd doesn't seem to follow intellectual property laws, or even guidelines.

I'm glad your machine is working flawlessly. I would never be contacted by someone that didn't need help and had been either frustrated or banished by an OEM tech support. And for the record, I don't have any issues with SS, they appear to have one with me. Hence the cease and desist. We all know that if you actually take care of your customers, they have no need to seek alternative sources.

Agree with both the comments on the person. Had an uncle like that once, my aunt called him a "terd polisher"
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Quote Originally Posted by richard newman View Post
    I'm curious why you dropped the Axiom AR8 Pro from your list? Haven't seen one in person, but they look pretty good to me on the website.
    Really it came down to a US made machine for me.
    Mike
    ----------------
    Experience: Something you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
    Michael...
    some info from the cheap seats: (questions, not answers)

An equal sized steel beam will only have a small (sub 5%) difference in deflection over an aluminum one. Assume an acceptable deflection (at cutting loads) less than a thousandth or two over 2 feet. Difference in deflection less than a ten thousandth. Would that matter? Steel costs much less to purchase, but more to machine. Is the steel product machined?

There seems to be little or no postings from SS owners on the web. In this day and age that seems a bit odd and could cause one to raise the question; why?

As much as some mfgrs tout the precision of ballscrews, rack and pinion is still used on machines in the $500K range, with precision far above what a sub $20k machine has.
    Good points Gary. While I am sure either one of these machines would work beyond my expectations for what I will do with them, I am leaning heavily towards the stinger.

I have two issue I need to sort out.
    1. The counter balance compressor requirement. Got rid of my big compressor and just have a small hotdog.
    2. Evidently the sr24 is not lift gate friendly. How are people unloading these things without a forklift?
    Mike
    ----------------

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Have to smile at your Router Bob comment. He has promoted more than one CNC manufacturer and is basically a hired gun for whoever writes the biggest check. JMO
    Same here lol. He is like the shamwow guy only for cnc machines.
    Mike
    ----------------

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ramsey View Post
    Good points Gary. While I am sure either one of these machines would work beyond my expectations for what I will do with them, I am leaning heavily towards the stinger.

I have two issue I need to sort out.
    1. The counter balance compressor requirement. Got rid of my big compressor and just have a small hotdog.
    2. Evidently the sr24 is not lift gate friendly. How are people unloading these things without a forklift?
    The counter balance pressure only needs to be maintained at ~ 35 psi. A hotdog or just about any compressor would be adequate.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
    commercial vs. non commercial

"terd polisher"
    I read all the time about major issues with the big names in commercial machines and headaches with tech support and so on. I think its just a different world. It seems the commercial market doesnt really have a huge issue with taking delivery of a machine that has a few kinks to be worked out after it lands whether it be a CNC, molding machine, whatever. Its kind of odd. Ive said it many times, it seems the hobby market is a very tough bunch with regards to fit, finish, and really get riled up if there is any little thing which kind of strikes me as odd that SS would be chasing that market but I guess money is money.

Turd polisher is a term we use here as well lol. Im not so sure I look at it as a Turd. I think Laguna has some pretty good history with a lot of its product line (if you dont mind the rebranded import market) but again they chase a very vocal market if EVERYTHING isnt completely perfect (yet the reason they went with Laguna in the first place is price). I just for whatever reason have never been a fan and while Im sure he has a lot of years in the CNC world it just doesnt come off quite right to me lol. To each his own I guess.

I researched this to death. If I had decided on a 2x3 machine, it definitely would have been the Camaster Stinger 1 with spindle. For whatever reason their pricing is really strong for that machine (and the 2x4), especially considering the massive heft, integrated PC, etc (although I wish they included Vcarve Pro). Because I ultimately decided on a 4x8 machine, I went with the Shopbot, which for whatever reason is priced better than comparable 4x8 Camaster machines.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianD King View Post
    I researched this to death. If I had decided on a 2x3 machine, it definitely would have been the Camaster Stinger 1 with spindle. For whatever reason their pricing is really strong for that machine (and the 2x4), especially considering the massive heft, integrated PC, etc (although I wish they included Vcarve Pro). Because I ultimately decided on a 4x8 machine, I went with the Shopbot, which for whatever reason is priced better than comparable 4x8 Camaster machines.

Believe me, if I had space for even a 3x4 machine I would go that route! My biggest concern no is how to unload it from a common carrier truck. Could possibly rent a forklift but that will be $300 at a bare minimum.
    Mike
    ----------------

Mike, one method I’ve read about is to have it delivered to a freight terminal and then loaded onto a tilt bed tow truck, then delivered to your door. Several have been through the process, try searching the Camheads forum.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Michael,

Order a lift gate - That Machine will have no problem fitting on a standard lift gate - Most companies will charge $25 - $125 for this service. Unbox it in the drive way and use a four wheel dolly to move it to your garage. A tow motor would be over kill.
    3X Camfive 1200 48" x 24" 100watt Tube
    Zcorp 450 3d Printer
    Laguna Smartshop 2 - 4x8 ATC

Well Mike, double check the details. A lift gate equipped 40’ rig delivered my 24”x36” Stinger and the crate just barely fit on it. It was a pulse raiser for sure. I can fully understand why Camaster said the 24”x48” is not liftgate friendly.

Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ramsey View Post
    Same here lol. He is like the shamwow guy only for cnc machines.
    Having known the guy for close to 30 years, you have no idea how much this made me laugh this morning. Coffee all over my keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Bonenfant View Post
    Michael, Order a lift gate - That Machine will have no problem fitting on a standard lift gate - Most companies will charge $25 - $125 for this service. Unbox it in the drive way and use a four wheel dolly to move it to your garage. A tow motor would be over kill.
    The first quote from Camaster actually had the shipping for the 24x36 unit which did include the lift gate however the second one was corrected and specifically calls out that lift gate was not available for the 24x48.
    Mike
    ----------------

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Well Mike, double check the details. A lift gate equipped 40’ rig delivered my 24”x36” Stinger and the crate just barely fit on it. It was a pulse raiser for sure. I can fully understand why Camaster said the 24”x48” is not liftgate friendly.
    Indeed for sure! My second issue, even if I went with the 24x36 with liftgate, my drive is positioned such that a semi would notbe able to back in and to complicate it further the approach is gravel so even loading onto furniture or car dollies I wouldnt be able to 'roll' it down the drive. I'd have to make a dolly with pnumatic tires.
    Mike
    ----------------

Michael...
    The liftgate option is a shipping company regulation. It is based on a maximum of 4', I think. Larger crates cannot be safely moved and rotated onto a liftgate. In most cases the trucking company will unload at the street as they are not permitted to put heavy trucks onto residential driveways.

If you do not have access to a small tractor with forks or a forklift , then the rollback is a great option (at a dock or at your driveway) as they can place the crate at your garage door. Some of the better operators even push the crate inside the garage.
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC