Thread: The space behind washer and dryers

The space behind washer and dryers

Washers and dryers can't be set flush to a wall due to the hoses that come out of them. What's kind of project would solve problems associated with the space behind washers and dryers?

One thought is to build something that blocks off the space behind the appliance so things don't fall into it. The top of the construction could provide a shelf.

Front end loaders and a top above them used for folding. You will want it to lift for utility access.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I just used a shelf of melamine laid on top of the machines, to cover the gap. Its removable for maintenance.

I solved that problem in an earlier laundry room remodel project by adding a shelf just above the spot where the washer and dryer sit. This particular location was under a slider window, so to create the shelf I simply added an extension onto the window sill.
    laundry_ledge.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

If it would be beneficial to move machines closer to wall, one thing I have done is to remove the sheetrock as necessary to connect the dryer vent pipe to ducting located between the studs. I have also recessed the gas and electric service into the space between the studs. This allows the machines to be moved a few inches further back to the wall.