Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oops moment. - powermatic 54a

Oops moment. - powermatic 54a

My fault I guess. Was cleaning up edges of a cutting board with walnut, maple, cherry and purple/yellow heart. Made the bad decision to run the end grain across and boom. Should have gone over to the table saw with it.

Board turned out out ok after going to the table saw for the end. Lesson learned and no injuries luckily.

and I used the excuse to upgrade
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 10-17-2017 at 9:46 PM.

Is that your jointer? I don't know what a Powermatic 54a is.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Is that your jointer?

Mike

Yes. Took the cutter head out and was ready to get the new shelix head in today but ordered new bearings to put on it first.

Glad there were no shrapnel injuries.

Nice cutting boards - is the yellow wood dyed maple?

Why are there holes in the knives and why are they so big? I am not surprised it broke at a hole. Looks like a structural girder cutout to save weight.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Glad there were no shrapnel injuries.

Nice cutting boards - is the yellow wood dyed maple?
    Thanks. Me too. The yellow is yellow heart. Far as I know it's not dyed. It's like purple heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Why are there holes in the knives and why are they so big? I am not surprised it broke at a hole. Looks like a structural girder cutout to save weight.
    Bill D
    Not sure. These were the factory installed blades from powermatic. I agree though that smaller holes would seem to make them stronger. They use a solid cover piece though which maybe makes up for some of the strength. Regardless, it didn't fair well against the wood in this case.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 10-18-2017 at 7:07 AM.

Those are 2 sided cutter knives. Pretty much can't be sharpened as they get too short. The big ovals are for the eccentric adjustment screws that raise or lower the knives when changing out. Doesn't work all that well but it does work. I have mine for 10 years or more and have not had any breakage. Still I will be happy to hear how your cutter head upgrade works for you Greg. I know it will be a huge improvement.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I'll bet that was exciting!

Just curious. I have an 8" Powermatic jointer (60C I think) and have thought about getting a helical head. Where should I look for one? Difficult to install? So cheap they are almost free?

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    ...and I used the excuse to upgrade

I wonder if the blades are designed like that to break and save the rest of the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I'll bet that was exciting!

Just curious. I have an 8" Powermatic jointer (60C I think) and have thought about getting a helical head. Where should I look for one? Difficult to install? So cheap they are almost free?

JKJ
    I got mine from Holbren Whiteside Router Bits, Byrd Shelix Heads and Other Woodworking Tooling

It's been a while, but I think I got a discount based on SMC or Woodnet membership. Wouldn't hurt to ask them.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

I did the upgrade to the Shelix head in my 54A. Been a while back but I don't remember having any real issues accomplishing the changeout. I purchased mine from Grizzly for $265. Was happy with the upgrade.

Clint

Ordered mine from Grizzly also. It was $309 and cheapest I could find it. In fact, it was $20 cheaper than the Grizzly knock off version.

Should have ordered it with bearings but didn't think too and then boogered up my bearings pulling them off the factory part. Ordered a couple of replacements last night so they should get here soon enough I guess. The bearings are 6202-2NSE and 6203-2NSE if anyone reading this one days wonders. They are Nachi brand on the factory machine and I think they are the made in Taiwan version. I ordered the same brand and part but instead ordered the made in Japan version. Same price and no clue if it's any better, but thought it might be.

I bought my byrd head with the bearings from sunhill and the change over took about an hour. This was about 10 years ago. Very simple.

Have the same machine.
    Had the same thing happen to me.
    Decided to do the same upgrade.
    You will love the Helical Head.

Very seldom can you remove a ballbearing in good shape unless it is brand new with no gunk buildup to lock it in place. I would recommend buying new bearing if you are replacing the head. They are easy enough to install with a socket or pipe of the correct diameter and hammer.
    I often use the old bearing races as a pusher to install the new ones. Just grind a little off the diameters so they are an easy slip fit. take them apart first and use only one separate race at a time. I often throw the inner race in the woodstove to anneal it then drill the hole out a little bit.