Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oops moment. - powermatic 54a

1. Holben gives free shipping and 10% off the standard Byrd prices. They don't take the SMC membership discount on the Shelix heads. But it's still a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    My fault I guess. Was cleaning up edges of a cutting board with walnut, maple, cherry and purple/yellow heart. Made the bad decision to run the end grain across and boom. Should have gone over to the table saw with it.
    So this begs the question: is edge jointing glued up end grain like this considered 'unsafe' in all/most cases, or is this simply a machine failure? Or maybe the result of trying to joint off too big bite,...? Inquiring minds....
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    So this begs the question: is edge jointing glued up end grain like this considered 'unsafe' in all/most cases, or is this simply a machine failure? Or maybe the result of trying to joint off too big bite,...? Inquiring minds....
    I do it all the time when I've got a cabinet door that is too big to just edge sand to size. I'm usually going pretty slow to reduce tear out, and I'm usually only taking about a 1/32" max and it's on 3/4" material. So not exactly the same scenario. I am using the same jointer for that task, but my knives are solid.

Bearings arrived a day early

Rigged up a makeshift jig to get the bearings on using a suspension washer from a 4Runner, a ceiling fan down rod, a floor flange, a wood block and a hammer.

Almost there

Mounted in bearing blocks and bolted to machine

And buttoned back up and aligned

I lost about 2 hours on install however trying to troubleshoot a problem. Turned out I put the upper belt pulley on backwards which was causing alignment problems. Long story short, got it straight and everything aligned and running like a top.

The he cutter head seems to do a very nice job. Not much noise difference but I'm thinking the dewalt 735 version I'll be installing will result in a big reduction.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 10-20-2017 at 8:49 PM.