Thread: New Bad Axe Saw

New Bad Axe Saw

Bad Axe is now making hand saws as well as back saws. My new Bad Axe hand saw was delivered by the UPS girl this afternoon. Damn it is a thing of beauty and just reinforces that I'm such a sucker for bling. BTW, did I mention it is beautiful?

badAxeSaw171017dscf2071.jpg

ken

I agree, Bad Axe makes great looking saws, and they work too.

Blog Entries
    Wait- are we talking about the saw or the UPS girl? Haha. Nice saw there.

Lovely saw, makes my saw envy bubble over. I noticed they just released a luthiers saw as well that is tempting me mightily.

I was supposed to attend the badaxe saw sharpening seminar this weekend, but its looking like my health isn't going to cooperate. I might just forward the money from the seminar into one of these beauties.

Ken, do you know the specs for his filing of that saw? The original of that Disston saw model was rip-filed. Bad Axe has something that they call "hybrid" filing. Did you get that or is it just a cross-cut?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    Ken, do you know the specs for his filing of that saw? The original of that Disston saw model was rip-filed. Bad Axe has something that they call "hybrid" filing. Did you get that or is it just a cross-cut?
    Mike,

I had this one filed crosscut, I'll order a rip filed one in a couple of weeks.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel O'Connell View Post
    Lovely saw, makes my saw envy bubble over. I noticed they just released a luthiers saw as well that is tempting me mightily.

I was supposed to attend the badaxe saw sharpening seminar this weekend, but its looking like my health isn't going to cooperate. I might just forward the money from the seminar into one of these beauties.
    Daniel,

The sharpening class is worth the time and money. I will someday do it again, the only problem it is a PITA to get to La Cross.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Daniel,

The sharpening class is worth the time and money. I will someday do it again, the only problem it is a PITA to get to La Cross.

ken
    Yeah, I've been trying to go since June, but between work and my health it just hasn't worked out. I'm going to see if I can simply move to the January class.

Still might buy a saw when the missus isn't looking through

They look great. Sadly he's only offering rip in 5-1/2 ppi and crosscut in 8 ppi, specs widely available in the wild.
    Since teeth are cut by waterjet (IIRC) he can't customize the ppi.
    AKA - "The human termite"

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Nickerson View Post
    They look great. Sadly he's only offering rip in 5-1/2 ppi and crosscut in 8 ppi, specs widely available in the wild.
    I'm surprised at hearing this! You pay that much and have no other choices?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Nickerson View Post
    I've never run a waterjet, but wouldn't it be as simple as having a different program to cut the teeth? Would be different if they were ground with a precision shaped grinding wheel and he had to tool up for different teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Elef View Post
    I've never run a waterjet, but wouldn't it be as simple as having a different program to cut the teeth?
    Sure, but the vendor will charge you to set that up. I suspect that this is more of a minimum order quantity / setup thing than a technical limitation.

I finally had a reason to use the new saw. It cuts true and fast.....and it sure is pretty.

What can I say other than I'm a sucker for saw bing, did I say it sure is pretty.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Elef View Post
    I've never run a waterjet, but wouldn't it be as simple as having a different program to cut the teeth? Would be different if they were ground with a precision shaped grinding wheel and he had to tool up for different teeth.
    Waterjets are EXPENSIVE. It's probable that BA is jobbing the cutting out, so the flexibility one has with in-house work is reduced.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.