Thread: Woodworking & Quilting

Woodworking & Quilting

Hello, I have seen in post after post about how a Woodworking Project has complemented or has been used with a Quilted item. From seam rippers to material storage units. I wonder how many Woodworkers have a significant other in the Quilting world. I recently gave my wife a Barn Quilt for our anniversary. She has done many seat cushions, gift bags and the like for my projects.

Barn Quilt. Her sewing room is the upstairs. I get the rest of the barn.
    6ED1292B-4F4F-4049-A667-755B016CCEB3.jpg 73233EDF-1E14-4172-A7C6-02EF600C4778.jpg

0C09CEC4-D256-4E01-B1C5-20B8262B6673.jpg

A bench with quilted top

kevin, what's a seam ripper and how is it woodworking related ? Is is anything like a point presser ? Here's a quilt and quilt hanger a friend of mine and I have collaborated on :

Mary's quilt hanger - WoodCentral post.JPG

Blog Entries
    Here's a quilt hanger that I made for my DIL. The quilt was made by my sister.
    kristinquiltrack1.jpg
    I've also framed some Quilt squares made by my sister
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

On another note:
    I've often compared my lumber stash to a cloth stash that a quilter might have.

Just a couple of the boxes in collaboration with my wife.Claro walnut box view2.jpg_MG_1824.jpg
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 10-18-2017 at 3:51 PM.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Professor Dr. SWMBO doesn't quilt but her older sister does. But she lives in Spain, so I haven't had the chance to work much with her on things like that. She also does reproductions of vintage Barbie clothing sets as well as doll furniture. For the latter, she has a woodshop with miniature power tools.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Interesting replies, Yonak: A seam Ripper is a tool sewers use to take apart stitches. The tool with the point is called a stiletto, that helps align materials. I have also made pin cushion bowls with compartments for threads & other accessories.
    I cut dowels with slots to hang Quilts (nice 1 minute job that gets good points) Yarn winders, yarn bowls, thread holders etc.

Sorry for crumby photos.
    C53CC502-6DAC-477E-AFA5-C1FD89F581A0.jpg

My wife is an avid quilter. I've made her an L shaped sewing table, built to her specs. I also made a 30" tall rolling stack of drawers that is the right height for her to cut fabric.

She's looking to buy a longarm, which is an expensive machine used to "quilt" ( stitch patterns) on the finished quilts.

It's nice that she can be in her sewing room and I can spend time in my shop.

I made a wall hanger for a large quilt for a friend, who's entire quilting group wanted ones as well. I never pursued it, but always thought it was a potentially good market in which to specialize. I also made a couple of seam rippers, making them fatter in the handle for the ease of older quilters.

Blog Entries
    A seam ripper is a little pointy thing that you can stick under a stitch. Push forward and it has a cutting edge that cuts the thread. Cut about every third stitch and the seam comes loose. Rockler sells a kit for turning the handles.

http://www.rockler.com/seam-ripper-s...SABEgK7m_D_BwE