Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Objectifying edge quality

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I do love it when you say that; it's a shame that you have to.

Has anyone ever challenged you w that said?
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    I do love it when you say that; it's a shame that you have to.

Has anyone ever challenged you w that said?
    Your Millage May Vary is seldom challenged. It is often folks have similar results, but less often that things turn out without some variance.

Besides, just because something works for me in my shop doesn't mean it will be the best method in someone else's shop.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 11-07-2017 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Besides,
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Your Millage May Vary is seldom challenged. It is often folks have similar results, but less often that things turn out without some variance.

Besides, just because something works for me in my shop doesn't mean it will be the best method in someone else's shop.

jtk
    I don't think I've ever challenged Jim about that because he uses it in proper circumstances.

I've certainly challenged people who say things along the lines of "the Earth is flat, YMMV so don't argue with me". For YMMV to be a valid response there actually has to be, you know, *variability*.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Thanks Stan! Absolutely, I think this was the biggest 'ah-ha' moment in my work (at least in finish planing) was when I discovered that I could sense minute dullness in the plane and knew well to stop and sharpen. I push it sometimes now, but generally I'm sharpening way more than I was when I first started hand planing or finish planing.
    I hope that "Sharpening way more" means "sharpening more frequently, but less total time spent sharpening." Or maybe it means "the quality of my planing work product has improved and/or become easier?" YMMV?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Covington View Post
    I hope that "Sharpening way more" means "sharpening more frequently, but less total time spent sharpening." Or maybe it means "the quality of my planing work product has improved and/or become easier?" YMMV?
    Hah! All of the above? My mileage does vary.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.